There was no security line to speak of at RDU. It was so quiet, it reminded me of the old Newport News Airport. After landing in New York, I hopped the Q90 bus to Citi Field. Three dollars. Hey Mamdani, where's the free public transportation? Where's the warmth of collectivism you kept talking about? What a crock he is.
Anyway, I entered the Willets Point Brewery, which is attached to the 1st base side of the stadium. I opted for a Montauk Juicy IPA and it was quite good. The 24 ounce selection even got me a collectors cup. Then for a stadium giveaway, I scored a blue Benge and Ewing shirt. From there, I went into the team store and...I'm sorry but I'm not paying 45 bucks for a freaking t-shirt. I did get a white pinstripe Mr. Met drawstring bag for $10 off. Every Mets ticket has a $10 coupon loaded into it for every home game during the rest of the season. I guess when the season goes this terribly, you have to come up with gimmicks to get people in the ballpark.
Then of course, there's the food. There's probably not a stadium in the country that serves better food. I headed into the Metropolitan Market, which is a club located on the middle level and in the left field corner. I ordered the Verrazano panini with breaded chicken, vodka sauce, and fresh mozz pressed on focaccia bread. And I took a table next to the clear plexiglass window that offered a clear, wide view of the whole field. The sandwich was very good; my only knock is the chicken wasn't crispy enough. But... make it in advance and that's what can happen.
Around the 4th inning, it was time for hot pastrami on rye. I don't think I can go to a Mets game without getting one. The meat is hand carved and it is carved thick. A little deli mustard and good quality rye bread... and of course a pickle spear. Nothing to change. With a Coke, 30 more bucks.
As for the game, the Mets started slowly, they didn't even get a baserunner until the 4th inning. But Carson Benge hit a 2 run opposite field home run and Kodai Senga locked down his fourth save of the season as the Mets won over the Padres 4-2.
Then it was the same bus back to the airport for a near 3 hour wait. I finished the day with an amazing slice of Junior's key lime cheesecake. Then a 7:30 flight back home and it was time to get about four hours sleep before waking up at 3:15 for my trip down to Florida.
Oh and while in waiting in LaGuardia airport, I got the final approval that I'd been hired for my new job. Yep! I had received two emails that afternoon that I would be receiving a shipment from FedEx where the return address was in New Hampshire. On a hunch, I called the recruiter to ask about the background check and she confirmed it was finalized that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment