Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday reflections

Finally, a hot weekend. And man, when we get some heat in Chicago, it's stickier than molasses. But when the weather does get warm, I'm not about to object it. We're not that far off from wind chill advisories.

1) Good hanging with CT today and Ecclesia at night. With that heat and wind, that was the craziest badminton game ever! And to think, I did one dive to reach for the shuttlecock (no giggling please), tumbled over, I look back at the racquet and it's basically bent in half.

2) The XXL Pennington Jets jerseys have arrived for Adam Pearce and Brent Albright. One month till they get what's coming to them...

3) I really can't stand cats. Spent three hours in Joe's house on Saturday, it took 24 hours for my eyes to stop watering, eliminate the redness, and start breathing through my nose.

4) Bien Trucha summary: The pescado tacos were phenomenal: beer battered tilapia, red cabbage, onion, tomato, lime, and chipotle-morita aioli. The pork torta was so-so (a little too much pineapple) and the steak tacos were really good. The watermelon guac was a little weird, but refreshing on a hot day. I still want to try the pineapple guac though. All in all, a very good place, you just have to know what to get. I am happy they are doubling size within six weeks though.

5) K-Rod blew a 2-run lead to San Diego, losing the game on a grand slam without even recording an out. And it barely fazed me. The Mets just invent ways to lose games. This is the most numbing, depressing season I can remember since maybe 2002, when all the overhyped and overpriced stiffs (Alomar, Cedeno, Vaughn, Burnitz, Weathers, Astacio, D'Amico, Estes, Strickland) brought the hopes of a pennant only to be finished by mid-May. But the Mets did acquire Jason Bay for Lou Collier in a great trade that year! Of course, two months later, they sent him to San Diego for Steve Reed and the immortal Jason Middlebrook. What a disaster.

6) Speaking of disasters, how will I get through this week at work with Joe B on vacation?

7) Speaking of Joe B, can the Jets start already? And of course, those damn Patriots trade for Derrick Burgess, an incredible pass rusher. Unreal.

8) Thanks to Ted for a great message tonight on discipleship. Nothing "accidental" about it. Unfortunately, the person who that second remark was intended for will likely never see this since I and people like me are apparently beneath him. It's a shame. I hope things will change. I can only pray.

9) Looks like any chance to go to Dragon Gate USA is out now. And I thought it was only going to be for work reasons.

10) My 10 year WA reunion is only six weeks away. Dang, that's double digits.

Song pick: "Last In Love" George Strait

No comments: