Monday, October 05, 2009

Our long national nightmare is over

The Mets 2009 season ends at 70-92, following a three game sweep of Houston to close it out. At least this year, we knew what the sad ending would be for months in advance. That's not what we as Mets fans are used to as of late. This is is more like it. The Mets concluded a 10-year period from 1999-2008 that included five brutal season endings: Kenny Rogers' bases-loaded walk in 1999, the Yankees celebrating on the Shea Stadium infield in 2000, Carlos Beltran's called strike three in 2006, and the twin losses to the Marlins in 2007 and 2008. That's enough heartache for 100 years.

I will look into the off-season in a couple of weeks and define what I want to see happen. Obviously, a power bat is at the top. This past season, the Mets were outhomered at CitiField 8-50. And throw in a legit #2 pitcher. For the record, Jason Marquis does not qualify. But let's move on.

1) Terrible job by Mark Sanchez. He was single-handedly responsible for the Jets first loss of the season as the Saints won 24-10. I won't panic, but he has to learn to handle the football better. He is just too careless. With a defense so good, a defense that held NO to 10 points in its own building, the offense has to be efficient and protective of the ball.

2) Now, I will try to be positive here. I love the Jets D. Love them. And this week, welcome back Calvin Pace!

3) This Versus-DirecTV stalemate is really pissing me off. I could not watch the Rangers beat the Devils in the Rock tonight. And to find out afterwards via Twitter that Joe and Evan don't even know about it is an utter disgrace. They had better address this on the air tomorrow morning. Forget Francesa mentioning it, he still has to break down Rachel Alexandra and find a minute to kiss Tom Brady's ass. And tonight, Gilroy scores the game-winner. Del Zotto scores in the second straight game. Great victory. Washington on Thursday. Payback time.

4) I don't know if one can have a bad meal at Cooper's Hawk. Had the Asian pork tenderloin and noodle stir-fry on Sunday night. Tender, juicy, and very aromatic.

5) I never realized how cool it is to wear jeans at work every day until I started doing it every day. Anything to avoid wearing my fancy black shoes. Too tight.

6) I have been called out of retirement. I'm returning to volleyball on Sunday. The Jets play Monday, so it works well. I'd better get in v-ball shape. Maybe a little more high stepping at the gym tomorrow. As Tom Coughlin would say, STEP LIVELY!

7) I wish I could download Youtube videos to my computer and Ipod. There is so much good music, for instance, that is not available on Itunes.

8) The one advantage Qdoba has over Chipotle is the guacamole is one dollar cheaper. That's about it. I guess the menu is bigger, but it doesn't matter how large it is. It matters that whatever is on the menu is good.

9) I get to see Mindy Smith in concert in 9 days at a small cafe in DeKalb. I cannot wait. And I never would have thought I went to high school with a co-producer of her new record.

10) I thank God I spent two years at Wheaton Academy. Who knows where I would be now if never went there? I love those guys and gals. I do hope they think of me fondly.

Song pick: "Between An Old Memory and Me" Keith Whitley

No comments: