Monday, December 05, 2011

Atlanta Blue-Day 1

Ever so slowly, I rolled out of bed at 4:45 and we left for O'Hare around 5:40. There wasn't too much traffic on a Sunday morning either, we got to the airport quickly and I navigated my way through the security line in maybe ten minutes. We took the 7:45 flight on American Eagle and this was one of the worst looking airplanes I had ever flown on. I sat down and the inside of my seat had tears in it. There was no armrest in the middle of the two seats and the pilot didn't make it easier. Granted, we were flying through a thick sea of gray clouds for an hour, but the
turbulence was as bad as I ever felt in 10 years. It was so bumpy i asked the flight attendant for a cup of ginger ale on the rocks just to calm my stomach down. And when the pilot landed the plane, he jammed on the brakes like he suddenly realized he had been driving a car on black ice.

So we took a 20-minute ride on the Marta rail north to Peachtree. We got a little lost on Peachtree St, but made our way to the Marriott Courtyard. We couldn't check in because people were still getting ready to leave following the SEC championship game. I was amazed how many people were wearing purple and yellow for LSU. It was like being right in Baton Rouge. We dropped our bags off and started our walk into town.

As we strolled the mile up Peachtree St into midtown, I was amazed how one block evolved into another. One one block, there'd be a Hard Rock Cafe, a Brazilian steakhouse, and an accounting firm. On the next block, there would be homeless people sitting on the lawn overlooking Highway 75. We got to Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken & Waffles for lunch. There were already a dozen people outside by 11:45, so we knew we found a pretty hip spot. The hostess told us the wait would take 35 minutes or less, and that turned into 55 minutes.

Finally, we were seated in the back room. I had a good view of the TV to watch Atlanta vs Houston. We both drank Uptowns, or Arnold Palmers. Huge glasses, that's always a plus. And I was so thirsty at this point, I probably would have felt re-hydrated drinking Nyquil. We started off with some fried green tomatoes, a fine southern appetizer. They had a nice Cajun spice on them and the outside tasted nice and crisp. But the remoulade sauce lacked a lot of flavor and I am a huge remoulade fan. Not this one.

We both ordered the Uncle Ron, which are three-piece fried chicken meals. Three pieces of chicken with two sides. Mom went with squash casserole and a great mac and cheese; I went wit house potatoes (shredded potatoes with peppers, onions, and Creole seasoning) and collard greens. They also came with the fluffiest corn muffins I've ever had. The chicken was incredibly juicy. The breading was nice and crisp, but could have used a touch more spice for my liking, I added a few dashes of hot sauce and that did the trick.

For dessert, we split the sweet potato cheesecake. Just before it came out, our waiter, Claude, asked us the easiest question of all time. "Would you like pecans, whipped cream, and caramel on your cheesecake?" The graham cracker crust tasted smooth ands buttery and not at all overwhelming. The pecans gave a nice crunch and zest, the caramel brought all the flavors together, and well, whipped cream is whipped cream. Just a wonderful dessert.

From there, we took a 45-minute walk southeast up and downhill to the Martin Luther King site. We walked through the Civil Rights Walk of Fame which features many notable Civil Rights figures' footprints. Politicians, athletes, entertainers, businessmen. Hank Aaron, Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Rosa Parks, Medgar Evers, Stevie Wonder, Ted Turner, Sammy Davis Jr, and probably a lot of names I don't recognize. I am stunned there is no Oprah.
We then walked through the main exhibit featuring audio and video of Dr. King's life and walked outside to a long pool in the middle of a courtyard, for lack of better words. Right in the middle of the pool were the crypts for Dr. King and his wife.

For me, the highlight was visiting the historical Ebenezer Baptist Church, where his father preached, where MLK gave his first sermon, where his funeral was conducted, and where his mother was assassinated in 1974. We walked in and I was asked to remove my Jets hat. After climbing a flight of steps, we headed into the sanctuary. One of Dr. King's sermons was playing. It was very haunting, I sat in the front row and just let his words about family, following God's plan, and justice wash over me for about 15 minutes. Then, we headed downstairs to Fellowship Hall, which showcased an interview with Coretta Scott King as well as the long and storied history of the church, which goes back to 1886.

We didn't really need to stay another 30 minutes to tour the birthplace, so we walked 20 minutes west back to the Courtyard. It was getting close to 3:30 pm and Mom's feet were starting to ache by now, we'd walked 4-5 miles for the day. Quick sidenote. During this stretch, we faced our third of maybe six panhandlers of the day. I tried to ignore this guy, since I figured the less interaction, the better. Well, he was a black guy, around 60, and he started complaining that I didn't like black people. He screamed not all black people are bad. I didn't respond to the man, nothing good was going to come out of doing that. It was pretty comical. And I know you've got beggars in every major city in America. The difference is, in Atlanta, there is nobody else walking on the street than you can use to shield yourself. You HAVE to face these guys, like it or not.

So we hung in the hotel for two hours. I watched football and tracked the end of the Jets' victory in Washington D.C. For the evening, I wanted to travel north to the posh Buckhead neighborhood, but by now it was 5 pm and we knew all the shops were going to close at 6 pm on Sunday night. So we decided to stay local and hit up Ted's Montana Grill. Wanting to spread a little Mets pride, I wore my Jose Reyes jersey. Amazingly, our waiter Larry, is a Mets and Giants fan! He was a very amiable guy, laughing a lot and cracking a ton of jokes. I got some bison chili and a Philly bison burger and fresh-cut fries. So messy, but so good.

Mom decided to head back to the room since she was really cold and tired. I wasn't ready go head back to the room so I hit up Meehan's Public House, a local downtown Irish pub. It wasn't the best place to go. I drank a Bushmills on the rocks and an Innis and Gunn. 16 bucks. Lame. Granted, i would have tried the buttermilk-battered chicken fingers with the ancho BBQ sauce if I wasn't so stuffed. Furthermore, the bar was pretty dead, I guess downtown Atlanta is not the cool neighborhood. Even worse, I got the news Reyes had all but signed with Miami for 6 years and over $100 million. That's when I ordered my next drink. I got back to the room around 10 pm. Catherine and I talked on the phone for an hour and ten minutes. I came back in and Mom was half asleep but she had "To Catch a Predator" on the TV. I have to admit, I got caught up in it and watched the rest of the show till 1 AM, which is when I went to bed.

No comments: