Thursday, May 22, 2014

And...breathe...

It's strange how I thought I was so busy while I was working full-time and going to grad school. I knew what I had to do. Now I have a lot of little things to do every day and now I'm not sure if I am getting everything done that I want to every day. In the last week alone, I've had a birthday party for one of my best friends, a day-long hike, Rangers playoff hockey, more issues with the unemployment office, a computer crash twice, job applications, grad school work, starting DDP Yoga, career networking events, and a career fair. So every time that something gets done, I feel like another huge task is right around the corner. Hopefully, we can soon add legitimate job interviews to that list.

I have had some good news in the last 24 hours though. My first unemployment check finally came after a month of deliberating with the IDES. The less said about a certain rep at that office, the better. I had to file an appeal, but it worked. Also, I have my computer back after over three days away.

The HR field is getting frustrating for me already. It's amazing how to even be an HR assistant or generalist, candidates need 2-3 years experience. I'm not asking to be a manager or make a lot of money. But even the best HR person in the world had to start somewhere. It feels like an exclusive fraternity that I can't break into. I don't even know if I'll get a fair shot once I complete my Master's.

I did go to that career fair in Oakbrook Terrace, as I alluded to earlier. It certainly wasn't ripe with opportunities; only eight companies showed up. Ironically, I applied to one of them (a certain college that I won't reveal yet) three weeks ago and have been waiting for an interview since then. One of the reps had called me, promising the hiring manager would get a hold of me. Of course, they never have. So at least I have a second contact at that school now. I think something may come of it, we'll just have to see.

Let's talk about something better. The New York Rangers are on an absolute roll. They have won five straight playoff games and are up 2-0 on Montreal in the Eastern Conference Finals. Game 3 is tonight in Madison Square Garden. Once Montreal's best player, goalie Carey Price went out, my expectations changed. I felt the Rangers were the better team all along, but after this injury, I want to see the Rangers win in four straight. I wouldn't be upset if they won in five, but it might be too much to ask for them to win three straight games in Montreal. I feel the Rangers will win this series in either four or six games. And I'm rooting for the L.A. Kings in the West. Because I really have no idea how I would handle the Rangers and Blackhawks squaring off in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I'll have to DVR Game 3 though. Tonight, I have a pseudo-date. Eh, it really isn't a date, since I think she has a boyfriend. But that's cool, we get along well regardless




No comments: