Sunday, June 01, 2014

A beautiful victory

After 14 years of waiting and hoping and frustration and heartbreak, I have a team back in the finals. It has been four days now since the New York Rangers defeated the Montreal Canadiens 1-0 in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals at Madison Square Garden. They played a perfect defensive game. Dominic Moore scored late in the second period and Henrik Lundqvist stoned Montreal the rest of the way. The Rangers are back in the finals for the first time in 20 years.

The primary emotions I've been feeling are jubilation with a little bit of disbelief. I believed the Rangers would win this series even before Carey Price went out of the series with an injury. But the thought of this Rangers team just four wins away from winning the greatest trophy in all of sports...it's still amazing to me. I will go on record as saying that if the rangers win it all, I will travel to New York for the parade.

Now tonight, there is a Game 7 in the Western Conference Finals. The Los Angeles Kings, who led this series 3-1, travel to Chicago to face the Blackhawks. The winner faces the Rangers. Aside from one year and college, I have lived in Chicagoland since 1997. Never in my craziest dreams did I imagine a Rangers vs Blackhawks final. By tonight, I and the world will know if it will be reality. My belief is it will happen and I'm completely dreading it. I'd still like to have a few friends after it's over and not be made fun of all the time. Because I know it would happen for years. I would be a gracious winner, but losing that final to Chicago would be horrific.

No comments: