Saturday, September 20, 2014

Reset button

Haven't written in a while now. It feels like life has almost been too chaotic to stop and take the time to record my thoughts and emotions. It's Saturday and it's late. And I'm alone. So let's go rapid fire tonight.

1) What a treasure to find a recently discovered Jim Croce live recording of such good quality. It's called "Lost Time in a Bottle." And to think the bulk of it was recorded at Harper College, only 45 minutes away from my house. Speaking of which, I applied for a financial aid job at Harper five days ago. It would be amazing if something came out of it.

2) So I had a big interview at Waubonsee Community College this past Wednesday and I do think it went okay. I interviewed with a seven-person panel, which was a totally new experience for me. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and I think I was prepared for just about every question the committee threw at me. It was interesting when the leader of the panel walked me out afterwards and asked about my previous job and why I left. It's almost as if he was trying to trap me, I don't know. But now I wait, and if I did well enough, I will interview with the Vice-President of the school sometime in the no too distant future.

3) The Mets are officially eliminated from the playoff race with 8 games to go. They need to go 6-1 in the last seven games to just go .500 for the first time since 2008. Sorry, but a .500 record doesn't do it for me. The performances of some of the young players, like Travis d'Arnaud, Jacob deGrom, Jeurys Familia, Zack Wheeler, and even Wilmer Flores, have me excited about where this team can go. But they need another bat, especially in a corner outfield. This lineup is simply not potent enough to make the playoffs next season, even if a healthy Matt Harvey returned to the rotation next season. With a terrible free agent crop looming, I think the Mets will try to make a trade for someone, but I don't see it happening.  Maybe a Yoenis Cespedes, who crushes balls when he puts the bat on them. I don't know what it would take for the Red Sox to trade him, but Sandy Alderson should inquire about him.

4) I made my two visits to Hot Doug's  last month and I thought I was content with those being my last two visits before they close in two weeks. Now, I rent the Hot Doug's book from the library and now I'm dying to go back one more time before they close. Even reading about retiring encased meats makes my mouth start to water!

5) One sign that someone isn't a good communicator. They ask you a question, only to interrupt your answer five seconds in so they can ask you another question.

No comments: