Thursday, October 02, 2014

Food spots

So I've written a few more reviews for Yelp lately and I decided to share a few of my findings on my blog as well. My Yelp restaurant reviews can all be found through here.

1) About six weeks ago, I tried Peanut Butter Planet in downtown Glen Ellyn. I'm a big fan of nut butters and I figured this might be a quick snack that I might enjoy. Well, I had a sandwich with honey-cinnamon roasted peanut butter, apple butter, and bananas on New England bread. I could have used some bacon for a little crunch. But then again, what sandwich isn't better with bacon? And I just found out the place closed this week! No great loss.

2) I always hesitate to try new restaurants in the first week or two that they're open because service is usually shaky, the cooks are still figuring things out, and the overall timing just isn't down yet. But following the Jets' latest horrific loss, I went over to the 9th edition of the Tap House Grill. I liked getting a $3.50 Sam Adams Octoberfest pint; just an excellent value. I started with the chicken fingers. The six fingers came out exactly how they should. The meat was juicy and the crispy that didn't overwhelm the chicken. The sauces, the honey mustard and the Sam Adams BBQ sauce, complemented the chicken very well. The BBQ sauce had a little smokiness that I really enjoyed. 

We also got a side of Brussels sprouts. The portion was quite large, but they could have used a little more seasoning. I also got the prime rib pretzel dip sandwich. I was hoping it would be a little larger for $12.50. The prime rib was moist and the au jus was really flavorful and a good beef flavor. The horseradish sauce added just the right amount of kick. So I enjoyed the food, but I would encourage the cooks to use a little more S & P!

We got to sit in a booth, which was comfortable and we had a huge flatscreen TV right in front of us, which definitely helps establish the sports atmosphere. Service was attentive and they kept our water glasses full. Tap House is a good place to hang with friends, throw back a cold one, and enjoy some good food.

No comments: