Thursday, July 13, 2017

On my way

It's 10:09 Eastern time and I'm laying in bed in a hotel room in Baltimore. Well, I'm really doing this. I'm uprooting my life for a new one.

My 2013 Honda sedan is a great car, but one thing it is not designed to is haul a bunch of stuff. That car is more loaded than Charlie Sheen after a tough weekend and I wish I could have packed another nine or ten boxes. I still don't know how I can see out the rear view mirror.

I really didn't have any emotions as I pulled out of my driveway in St. Charles at 4:45 this morning. I can be pretty sentimental at times, but this really feels like it's all about business. It's not that I want to abandon good memories, but I feel like I need to make this move work.

One of the things I really don't know is once I'm settled in the hotel, is there anything that I will need to go out and buy besides food. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with the food, I think I may be living largely on almond butter sandwiches, fruit, and carrots, until my first check comes in. I don't mind doing that for a while, I really don't.

The other thing that's pretty huge is what apartment will I take? I have three more to see Saturday. By the end of Saturday, I pray I can come to a decision that I'm content with. But one thing I didn't plan on was how these prices can fluctuate day to day. There can be a special for $100 per month, but the staff won't tell you that it expires that day. That just kills trust for me. Hidden catches and a lack of transparency. That happened at an apartment complex that I would have liked to have lived in. Now I'm not so sure I want it anymore. Because what else are they not telling me?

It looks like I need to go to bed bath and beyond to get some good towels. Now I'm not planning on using those until I get into the apartment. But I'm realizing more that it makes sense to invest in some decent towels, as they last longer and absorb moisture better.

So I'll be seeing my father tomorrow. First time I've been with my parents in five years. I really hope this goes well. Jimmy's seafood, I'm counting on you for a great meal.

No comments: