Sunday, February 02, 2020

Where Do I Fit

I am desiring community so much. I am blessed to have the Virginia Jets Fans as well as two Meetup groups. But I want that regular church community. And First Baptist in Norfolk makes sense. Good location, good size, good services, lots of Sunday options. 

I've tried four out and each had pros and cons. I was heading to one in particular today and I saw a sign outside the door that said 25-40. I barely still qualify so I walked inside. There were maybe five people in there at the time, two couples and a cute girl who had a ring on. 

I met the leaders, Dave and Sharon (I wish their last name was Ramsey). Very nice and welcoming, just as any leader would hopefully be. Then a married couple came in. Then another. And another. On and on. Before long, every seat was filled. I counted. Ten married couples and two women whose husbands were gone.
And me, the single schmuck. 

Oh and the topic? Divorce. When Dave said during the lesson we were sitting next to our spouse our future spouse, the feeling went from awkward to disgusted. I walked right out of the room. 

I don't want to quit. I like the church. But I don't want to be the guy who walks into the church auditorium, sits for an hour, and leaves without engaging with a soul. Maybe that's why it matters. The journey will go on.

No comments: