Saturday, December 24, 2022

New Jersey (from September)

I woke up at 4:15 AM to catch a 6 AM train from Williamsburg. Now I can't remember the last time I took this long of a trip on Amtrak so I figured I would get there about 45 minutes early to be on the safe side. I woke up at 4:15 AM to catch a 6 AM train from Williamsburg. Now I can't remember the last time I took this long of a trip on Amtrak so I figured I would get there about 45 minutes early to be on the safe side. I probably could have arrived 5 minutes before the train arrived and still would not have been a problem.

The total train ride took 7 hours. The sky changed from black to powder blue with not a cloud in sight. And it's amazing moving from the mid-Atlantic to the northeast. The smokestacks of Virginia to the small towns outside DC to the inlets of Delaware to Philly itself to industrial south Jersey. Not everything may have looked pretty, but I still admire how this country has so many distinct parts to it. 

Without a doubt, the last hour took the longest. But the ride was worth it to shock Jeremy. He never ever knew we were coming. Lots of hugs. Ten weeks of waiting was well worth it. 

 And the 1st place these 2 bozos took me to was a dispensary in Woodbridge. I know nothing about this stuff, I've never smoked a thing in my life.  Well aside from pork butt. And no I did not try anything. 

 We worked our way into downtown New Brunswick where there was a pep rally going on for a records football game on Saturday. Trying to find out a street parking space was next to impossible. But we settled in the deck and then walked down two blocks to the Tavern on George.

I really liked the Kane high head IPA. Very citrusy with a faint taste of hops. Eventually my father and his girlfriend showed up with their dog a shih tzu named Rummy. Very low maintenance and cool dog. Also Mark, Dom, and Pete joined as well. Gunny and his wife, unfortunately, got stranded in Chicago as their plane got delayed and they were rerouted from Newark to Laguardia.

 After 3 hours of eating drinking and laughing, I headed with my father over to the apartment where I immediately fell asleep for about an hour. We watched wrestling and a little bit of pathetic Mets baseball and I settled onto the sofa bed around 10 PM.

On Saturday morning, it was a 7 mile run on the treadmill followed by a lot of scrambled eggs, thick bacon and rye toast. Nick and Mark picked me up and we headed to Coney Island to meet up with the rest of the Jets gang.

Did my first roller coaster
Cyclone was a thrill, but I didn't have a burning desire to do it again
Nick got a parking ticket, I gave him some cash to help
L and b spumoni garden
Remarkable pizza
Vanilla and pistachio gelato
Shopping at Dicks for merch with Iowa
Tailgating Sunday 
Pork roll egg and cheese
The hangar club
Jets get beat by Baltimore
Rutts hutt
Deep fried hot dogs
Getting wasted 
430 am train back home

No comments: