Friday, April 25, 2008

Enough of Friday

The odyssey of today really started Thursday morning. I left my gym bag at home and I intended to work out that afternoon. As a result, if I didn't work out Friday morning before work, I would not get any exercise in until Monday, at the earliest. So my alarm got me out of bed at 4:30 a.m. this morning. I read on the net about the Mets' latest loss, listened to a little Boomer and Carton, and took off for the gym around 5:30 a.m. Got there at 6:05, worked out until 7:15. Showered and drove the 5 minutes to work. Left at 4:40 p.m.

Usually, I would take the highway from Hoffman Estates down to Glen Ellyn for my Friday night group, about a 35 minute drive. And this is actually the last meeting we're having until next September. But there was an extra wrinkle. Last Saturday, I brought a grill and I wound up having to exchange it. The cool thing was the Lowe's I went to this time has the same grill for $30 cheaper. So I saved a few bucks and they're going to do the assembly as well. But this Lowe's was on Barrington Rd, which meant a lot of stop and go traffic, mostly stopping. This time, it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to Glen Ellyn at 6 p.m.

To celebrate our final group session of the year, we had pizza. Theanks Chad for not calling in, thus making all those donations to the cause. I probably had 13 pieces tonight. Then again, this is that lame Chicago thin crust style. And a few regulars were missing tonight, so let's just say I took their burden upon my shoulders. Left at 7:30, and by now, the rain was pouring down. But I couldn't go home, I had to drive even farther south to Lisle for some Herald work. Got there just in time for the start of the third period. Rangers lead 3-2. Found out they had led 3-0 though, so I was feeling a little queasy. Penguins score two goals 30 seconds apart. I knew it was over. But of course, the Rangers tease me. They tie it with 10 minutes left. Three minutes left, the referees take their first step toward screwing the Rangers so the "anointed one" can reach the next round. Penalty on Straka, Pittsburgh scores on the power play, we lose Game 1. Absolutely terrible.

And to top off that, five minutes later, Kelly Johnson homers off Mike Pelfrey, snapping a 3-3 tie. Braves go on to beat the Mets 6-3. The Mets gout outhit in this damn game 13-2. Two hits! All their runs came off walks with the bases loaded. Ryan Church is the only Met hitting worth a damn. Wright hasn't hit anything since Saturday. Beltran has been terrible with runners on base. Reyes has not had a hit since the Great Flood. I think Noah was gathering animals for the ark the last time Jose Reyes got a hit. I've ripped Delgado enough already, at least he was benched in this game. Even our bench core, Easley, Anderson, and Chavez have been terrible. And Raul Casanova. Our catcher while Brian Schneider is recovering from an infected left hand. I have a request. This may be asking a lot. When you hit a ball to the wall, instead of skipping to your Lou, can you freakin' run hard? Who the hell are you to not bust your ass on the baseball diamond? Get lost, goodbye. I am sick of the lackadaisical and crybaby attitudes that still permeates this clubhouse.

By the way, there have been four grand slam home runs hit in baseball this year. Mets relief pitchers have given up three of them.

And then I had a 45 minute drive home through an absolute storm and got held up by a freight train in West Chicago for 5 minutes. Got in at 10:00 p.m. So that's 17 hours straight out of the house. I am now in the heated dungeon unloading on Claim Jumper's caramel apple cream cheese pie (TDF!) and a lot of milk. And I wonder where someone is tonight... They have a lot to answer for.

No comments: