Sunday, November 09, 2008

All about the duck fat

Can't make it any clearer than that. I've had a pretty good run of Saturday lunches lately. Cemitas Pueblas, Pappadeaux and today, I finally made my first trip to Hot Doug's. After a morning workout, we drove 40 minutes to the corner of California and Roscoe Streets in the northwest side of Chicago.

We got there around 10:50 a.m. I saw the sign hanging above the restaurant and as I looked lower, the line was already out the door. I shuddered as I realized it was 40 degrees out, raining, and I had no jacket. Finally, we made it inside and I certainly appreciated the heat in the building. We ordered three sausages:

1) Sweet Pepper and Mozzarella Chicken Sausage with Spicy Pizza Sauce, Sautéed Bell Peppers, Caramelized Onions and Smoked Mozzarella Cheese

Chicken sausage has never been a favorite of mine, maybe because they tend to have such a mild flavor compared to other meats. The meat was flavorful, but it needed the vegetables to add the extra taste. The sauce was fine, though I didn't taste much spice. The best part for me was the smoked cheese. With all the veggies, bread, meat, and sauce, the cheese really helped bring the whole thing together.

2) Ribeye Steak Sausage with chimichurri and madrigal cheese

This was a special and it indeed, was one of a kind. Hard to tell that it was steak, but the smoky beef flavor was outstanding. And the green southwestern chimichurri had a little bit of heat and really went well with the ribeye. I wish I had been there when they served this one with fried crispy onions. I still don't know what cheese that is, but it was white and cubed.

3) Smoked Crayfish and Pork Sausage with Cajun Tartar Sauce and Habañero-Jack Cheese

My favorite. The sausage was the hottest, but not too much. It just had that late kick of heat. And the tartar sauce was smooth and creamy, like it came straight form New Orleans.

And the fries were fresh as could be. Not sure what the duck fat really adds, but that may have been one of the best orders of fries I have ever had, right up there with the Filling Station. And kudos for having Cherry Coke in the drink dispensers. And Tab and Dr. Brown's in the fridge too?

Yes, I think I officially have a thing for encased meats.

No comments: