Sunday, November 23, 2008

Florida, part 3

OK, now I'm finishing this up.

Tuesday's dinner was at DaRuMa, a Japanese joint, east of Sarasota. We sat with four girls and two guys (around my age) celebrating a b-day for one of the girls. I could tell she was the classic "high maintenance-thinks she's low maintenance, partying blonde." But they were all cool. I even had the "honor" of taking pictures of them drinking sake bombs. And I don't think Dad was prepared for the simultaneous table bang that precedes the drinking of the bomb. The meal was excellent (the chef did do the flaming onion volcano!); I hadn't had that kind of food in maybe a year when I was at the Dells. And this was the first teppanyaki restaurant I had been to that serves duck breast. I enjoyed the taste and I thought it was a creative addition to the standard menu.

Wednesday was the John W. Ringling Museum, seemingly from start to finish. We got there around 10 and were there about five hours total. Now if I had known this complex was outdoors with a lot of buildings around, I would have taken a jacket along. As I walked through the first museum, the History of the Ringling Circus, I read about a lot of the circus performers, their lives, their legacies, and that kind of thing. I realized a lot of clowns, comedians, etc. really are the masters of image management. So many times they try to fix their own unhappiness by making others happy. I credit that, there are certainly worse approaches to take. Through bad, good can come out. Maybe in a way, it's a good kind of deception. But still, they still can't deceive themselves once the show is over.

The Howard Tibbals Circus Model is something every human being should see in person. It is remarkable. This guy spent 50 years designing and crafting a 1920's miniature circus and it is now displayed in the Education Museum at the Ringling Complex. And it contains 42,143 individual items, and that does not even include some of the small pieces like all the thousands of railroad tracks and stakes.

The Ca d'Zan mansion was John and Mable's dream mansion built right off Sarasota Bay. I took a number of photos of this place. I would not mind hosting a party on the outdoor marble terrace. We also checked out the dwarf garden, with statues of various dwarfs. Sleepy, Bashful, Sneezy... eh, not quite. Finally, we hit the art museum. The Ringling's were huge collectors of classic art and they have a separate museum just to show it off. Most notably, I saw a lot of 15th and 16th century paintings with Christian depictions.

I took the afternoon to be alone and I wasn't the only one who needed that time either. Following some stone crab that night at Moore's, we headed in for the evening. The next morning (our final full day), we had breakfast on Siesta Key at the Broken Egg, a place Dick Vitale has endorsed many times. And you can tell; they have his books, CD's, signed memorabilia all over the front windows of the place. Besides, that, they feature a lot of unique art spread out around the walls. It definitely adds to the ambience; it's not just another breakfast place you walk in, sit, grab the newspaper, drink coffee, eat eggs, and leave. It feels more homey and more inviting. Of course, we inquired about the bagels. Not New York. I did enjoy my three egg/turkey sausage breakfast very much though. On the way home, mom and I really got to Dad with on the go Trivial Pursuit. (Thanks...) We answered questions he had no idea we would ever get. I doubt it really bothered him, he just likes seeing us react. We decided to chill and since it was a very warm day, we wanted to get one last good day of sun. While Mom went to the salon, Dad and I went over to the shuffleboard court. I had not played this in maybe 10 years. He won the first game 79-63, I won the second 78-59, and I held him off in the decider 75-73. From there, I went down to the hotel pool area and tanned for a while (listened to a few Ortberg messages in there as well) and spent about a half hour in the hot tub. Yeah, I enjoyed that. So I actually skipped lunch. Seriously.

We wound it up at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion for dinner. I had heard about this place and noticed it the first day as we rolled down Tamiami. I'm glad we saved this place for the final meal. This place basically mixes European and Asian food and the result is outstanding. A Mai Tai was tempting but I decided to stay straight and opted for iced tea. The first sign that this place was different was instead of bringing out a plate of bread, they brought out a plate of seasoned edamame, the Japanese soybean. That always reminds me of the CPK Thai crunch salad. Very good, but even Dad would not go for that. We opened with asian BBQ ribs and lobster potstickers for appetizers. Mom also had a wedge salad and I like how all the ingredients were separated on the plate so she could mix them in however she wanted. For the main courses, Dad had the best Peking duck I've ever had. The hoisin BBQ sauce was smoky and savory. Mom had Hawaiian ono with Israeli Cous Cous and sweet potato puree. Don't ask me how, supposedly, it was amazing. As for me, I did a seafood sampler with salmon, butterfish, ahi, alongside bok choy and rice. Each fish was served in small square sushi dishes (Say that ten times fast). The flavors were remarkable. Though the waiter warned me I would "fall in love" with the butterfish, I have to say I preferred the salmon with the citrus sauce. And dessert. And dessert. And dessert. Dad had these coconut macaroons topped with creme brulee ice cream and one or two other things I can't remember, pronounce, or spell. Great stuff. Mom had the Melting Hot Chocolate Souffle cake. Not I didn't try it. As for me, it was the Pineapple Upside Down Cake with vanilla ice cream. Uh, yeah. I suddenly wasn't too upset about missing the peach cobbler at Fleming's. I would definitely try the Roy's in Chi-town for a special occasion. That night, we saw a Jeff Dunham special on Comedy Central. He is one funny dude.

The next morning, we grabbed some more Toojay's sandwiches for the ride home. Uh, where is the side of mustard??? I'm still looking... But the XM made the plane ride home good. And two days later, it started snowing. Good ol' Chi-town.

Late breaking news: Donors wanted for a man whose buttocks were blown off in a nuclear accident. As of now, no end is in sight.

No comments: