Sunday, December 07, 2008

Consistent misery

I wasn't upset over losing to Denver last week. But after this joke of a performance against the lousy 49ers, I am disgusted with this team. This defense is a joke. I want Bob Sutton out of here now! Now! 53-year-old Isaac Bruce looked like Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, and Michael Irvin all rolled into one the way the secondary let him roam all over the field. But the two stats that get to me the most are time of possession and third downs. SF had the ball 40 minutes compared to 20 for the Jets. And SF converted 8 of 15 third downs. The Jets? 1 of 10! The defense could not get off the field all day and when the offense did get on, they inspired very little confidence. On five second half possessions, four of them were 3 and outs.

Right from the get-go, I could sense what was going to happen. SF opens up with an onside kick, but the Jets recover. They start at the SF 46. They go 3 and out. And with a 4th and 2 on the 38, our genius coach punts. He doesn't try to kick, he doesn't go for it. He punts, which amounts to an 18 yard gain.

And before this game, I had never heard of #44 James Ihedigbo. He may have my job next week for all I know. But with the Jets down 17-14, Leon Washington runs a kick 90 yards back for a go ahead TD. I'm going nuts, I'm cheering, I'm hollering. Then, the flag. Holding on this idiot who I had never heard of and never want to hear from ever again. The Jets never got a first down the rest of the game.

And throw in the fact that Indianapolis, Miami, Pittsburgh, Denver, and those scumbag Patriots won, that makes my night even more disgusting. Same old, same old. This is reality. Some things really never do change. The Jets are now tied for 1st with New England and Miami with three games to go.

Benigno, you had better give me a classic tomorrow. I need it.

No comments: