Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Lull in scores

Well, the latest snowfall (I cannot remember a December that was this rough weather-wise) has delayed the basketball tournaments so I have some leftover time. And I haven't written in 16 days either. And my plane leaves in 15 hours, so I may as well write one final 2008 post.

1) Last Sunday was the coldest I have been since Urbana. I spent most of it in the city and I started off going to Moody Church. The kids did a 30-minute presentation called "Christmas in Reverse" with songs and dramas. Great stuff. Then we wanted to hit Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder for lunch, but they were closed. Their website said they opened at 11:30, the sign said 12:00. No good. So we went to Gibson's and had some steak sandwiches and garbage salad. Great stuff, though I would not pay $35 each to eat lunch there. Then we went to the Cadillac Palace Theater and watched Dirty Dancing. I thought the show was pretty good, all in all. The crowd was a little younger than the Jersey Boys crowd, which I didn't mind all that much. And great job by Mom finding two spots on the street to park, so we didn't even have to pay for that.

So we get in the car and it's 4 p.m. For the second time that day, we drove to Willow Creek to find my cell phone, but no luck. I turn on 1000 AM to get a Jets score. They were down 7-3 and I felt bad, but not totally in despair. Later, I found out about Wideload Mangini going for it from his own 20, down 7, and with three timeouts and the 2-minute warning. That was all I needed.

2) The Jets have me aggravated beyond belief. Mangini's coaching against Seattle was putrid. From the play I just described, to kicking a field goal on4th and 1 from the Seattle 1 on the first series of the game, to actually punting after Jay Feely drilled a 45-yard field goal that was called back after they then took a 5-yard delay of game penalty. The entire coaching staff really needs to go. The only coaches I can remember being this frustrated with in recent memory are Isiah Thomas and John Muckler. If New England wins their early game, I hope Miami beats the Jets just to keep the Patriots out of the playoffs. I've written the same thing 100 times now. But let's put it as Joe B put it.
The Dolphins have Bill Parcells in charge of the football operations: Michael
Corleone. The Patriots have Belichick: Sonny Corleone. The Jets? We have Eric
Mangini: Fredo Corleone. If you know "The Godfather", nothing else needs to be
said. If the Jets don't make the playoffs, I want him fired.

3) And then the Rangers. 4-0 lead over Washington. The Garden was buzzing. And before you knew it, Washington ties it and wins the game in OT. First time since 1979 the Rangers blew a 4-0 lead at home. They built the lead and stopped playing hockey. No hitting, no aggression. I mean they out there in the third period doing Figure 8's! If I want to see that kind of skating, I'll go to the Ice Capades. When are Kimmie Meisner and Sarah Hughes coming to town? Are the Rangers about to sign Brian Boitano?

4) Devils-Penguins at the Rock Friday night (An Italian hot dog from Jimmy Buff's is in my future). And then Final Battle 2008 Saturday night. My picks:

ROH World Title Match: Nigel McGuinness over Naomichi Marufuji
Fight Without Honor: Bryan Danielson over Takeshi Morishima
Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kensuke Sasaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima
ROH World Tag Team Title Match: Kevin Steen & El Generico over Jimmy Jacobs & Delirious
Tyler Black over Austin Aries
New York City Street Fight: Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, & Go Shiozaki over Brent Albright, Roderick Strong, & Erick Stevens
Four Corner Survival: Chris Hero over Jerry Lynn, "Addicted to Love" Rhett Titus, The Necro Butcher
Claudio Castagnoli over Kenny Omega

5) How can "Santa Claus is Watching You" by Ray Stevens not be available for download on Itunes? Aside from Magnifica, that is the greatest Christmas song ever.

No comments: