Monday, May 11, 2009

5 for early May

1) I must thank John Ortberg. Not for a sermon, not for a new book, but for talking about Sara Lee banana cake in one of his messages about faith and science. It hadn't been made for maybe 15 years, yet I saw it in the frozen sectional at Osco two weeks ago. I'm having some right now. Outstanding stuff. Frosting is creamy, but there is not too much of it.

2) I watched the Capitals force Game 7 by winning on the road against Pittsburgh. Then I saw the Blackhawks rally tonight and win the second round of the playoffs, thus advancing to the Western Conference Finals. I look at some of their young players and then I look at my team's roster and it baffles me that the Rangers do not have one player who can score 25 goals. And it feels like 10 years since the Rangers have played a game. How do I feel about the Blackhawks? It's fine, but my level of emotion hasn't really changed. Kind of like the White Sox in 2005.

3) And I missed the national anthem because I had to watch the Mets bullpen blow another game to the Slaves. Any good feelings after seven straight wins have taken a punch straight to the solar plexus.

4) CM Punk throwing out the first pitch at Wrigley Field on Friday. And Dec, J-Schu, Harmony, and the sister of Dec I have not met are all going. That is outstanding. The spirit of Ring of Honor and WWE spreads. Now in honor of Mr. Straight Edge, I think they should ban beer from Wrigley Field for that game...

5) After all the faxes and printouts I have had come in since September for my paper job, I would like to see how much money that has cost me in new print cartridges. Maybe I don't.

Bonus) Had a burger tonight. And it is my first in 15 days when I wolfed down the 2-pounder at Urban Grille. I felt like I was having flashbacks.

Song pick: "You Gave Me a Mountain (live)" Marty Robbins

No comments: