Monday, July 26, 2010

3 weeks

1) I have had no urge to write. Oh, things have been going on. Sometimes, I need to have nothing else going on at all and enough emotion stirring me up, whether positive or negative. This is damn negative.

2) Suffice to say, I have no idea how my parents make such brutal decisions regarding their lives after they divorced. I know they mean well, I know they love me, but good Lord, I hope I do certain things the exact opposite of how they have.

3) Softball continues to be going mediocre. We have a roster of 18 players. On average, between 6-8 are showing up each week. When I was gone last week, they went 1-1. they squashed a team that has won nothing all season on Saturday before dropping a 15-12 debacle to team we really should have beat on Sunday. So that put us in 12th place going into the weekend.

Naturally, we had another rainout on Saturday, leaving us to play my old team, FBCG 1, who had not lost a game yet. We had 7 guys show up and we had to borrow three players from FBCG 3. We trailed most of the way until the top of the fourth, when we scored six runs. As I recall, that gave us a 6-4 lead. But we thought we were up four. That would prove critical.

They came back with four in the bottom of the sixth. Somehow we tied it with two in the top of the seventh. So we thought we were up up two, but we were actually tied. With one away (I made the catch), they loaded the bases, thanks to a hit and two of our typical errors. They knock a two-hopper grounder back to the mound that our pitcher couldn't field, and they scored the game-ending run. We lose a great game in a brutal finish.

As for me, I batted 3rd and went 2-for-5, reached on an error, and scored twice. My hitting wasn't the best, but it was pretty solid. And I must have made six catches in left field. But the bottom line is this. We play two games next weekend, one against St. Peter's and one against FBCG 3. If we're going to qualify for the postseason, we need to win both. And it would be nice to see 10 of our own guys show up for a change. May sound crazy in this culture, but commitment actually means something to me.

4) OK, that was long. Here's a short one. The Mets are driving me up the freakin' wall. I'm now focusing on the Jets defensive line depth.

5) One more semi-long one. Ring of Honor recap. I would say this was a solid show that kept getting better and better. That building was incredibly hot and it may have been the first time I drank a bottle of water before intermission. Austin Aries returning to the ring in Daizee Haze's ring attire was one of the more disturbing, hilarious sights I have seen in ROH. The two best matches were Colt Cabana and El Generico vs. the American Wolves as well as the world title match between Tyler Black and Kevin Steen. Some heavy blood and some great back and forth action in that last match.

As for Rosa's, well, another double decker pizza hit the spot. On the mike, Q did three songs on his own. Eddie did the same old, same old. Pearce did "The Time of My Life" with a girl about half his size. Necro Butcher brought the house down when he sang "My Way" and Pearce had me sing the female lead on "Afternoon Delight". In his words, I am now a legend.

No comments: