Saturday, March 23, 2013

I should be under the electric blanket now

I'm trying a different approach with this one. Typically, when I write a post, I get inspired, I write the title, and then the content. As the weekend has begun, I just feel compelled to write and whatever I called this post, well, that's the one thing that probably won't have much thought behind it.

1) I turned a job down for the first time in maybe my entire life. It was at a very reputable insurance company, I won't mention the name. The boss seemed like a very nice guy. At the end, the duties of insurance sales/education/consulting/use any word you like, they just felt too far off from what I really wanted to do. Even though Mom later felt like I should have taken it, I think I made the decision I needed to. I suppose we won't really know if it was the right decision until sometime later.

2) I wish I was a little east of Chicago tonight. Not all the way on the east coast, that's for April. Somewhere between Indiana and Philadelphia.

3) Yard House still makes the best chicken nachos I've ever had. It's so simple. They use fresh and high-quality ingredients. I love the fresh tomatoes as opposed to salsa, cilantro, and the guacamole. The chicken breast comes in nice big chunks and there's just the right amount of heat in the red and green sauces. And if that wasn't enough, today I got the full-sized portion for half off, since they have happy hour from 3-7 on Monday-Thursday. Probably cost me about $5.50. That's a complete steal. I'm glad the place is an hour drive from my house, or I might be dropping by every month.

4) It's one of the most sinking feelings I know. I walk downstairs into the basement and walk across two rugs towards my computer. As I step onto the second rug, my foot is suddenly wet. I can't help but moan a little, because I know it's time to clean up for a good hour. The basement flooded again this morning and this time, I can't figure out where the water came from. My theory is a certain pipe in the basement had gotten loose from where it should have been, and then when I ran the dishwasher, the laundry room and downstairs bathroom turned into a wading pool. What made it worse was our wet vacuum is no longer sucking anything, it's basically useless. Mops aren't much help either. So I had to dry all the water with towels and rags, then I tossed them in the dryer for an hour, then began the cycle all over again.

5) So this weekend looks pretty unusual for me. For Saturday, I have a job workshop at Willow Creek in the morning. Then, I have to go to Party City and find a costume for a party later that night. I absolutely cannot remember the last time I went out and bought a costume for any reason. The one catch is there has to be a mask. We'll see what happens, I know one thing, and anyone who truly knows me will know this to be true. I'm gonna make it as good as I possibly can. Nothing half-ass.

6) I am exactly four weeks from running the 5k at Willow Creek. I have been training for the last week, slowly increasing my distance each time. Today, I ran 2.8 miles on the treadmill in 26 minutes. I have to keep reminding myself that I am pushing and stretching my limits each and every time I run. I have a goal in mind that I will reveal in the days leading up to the race and I so very much want to accomplish it. I think in another week or so, I'm going to try running the three miles at 7.0 mph and see how my body handles it.

7) I want the Mets season to start already! I'm so excited I get to go to two games the first week of the season. And for the five tickets I have between the two games, it cost me about $30 total. I just need to find someone who can take the second ticket for the Thursday afternoon game...

8) Still looking for good deals on bobbleheads...

9) Can George Strait please perform in the Chicago area on his farewell tour?!

10) Proverbs 16:3 "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans."

No comments: