Saturday, April 05, 2014

When your idol insults you publicly

I really never thought something like this would happen. Thursday was one of the craziest days of my life. I woke up at 3 am to fly to New York City. I finally met a friend I had been communicating with for six months on social media. The wait was worth it. Then I went to the Mets-Nationals game with my father. After the Mets got thoroughly trashed, I took the Q48 bus back to LaGuardia Airport. I was listed for the 6 pm flight and even thought the evening flights looked tight, I was confident I would get one of them. After all, there were three more flights after the 6 pm and 150 passengers were going on each one.

But little did I ever expect what would happen to me in the security line. I was maybe eight people back in the security line. All of a sudden, Joe Benigno from WFAN sports radio in New York walks into the line. I couldn't believe it. My favorite radio host in the world! I had met him twice already, but this was the first time where he showed up and it was totally unexpected for me. BTW, it took him forever to get through security! Three pill bottles, tons of media passes, two coats. It was kind of funny!

Once we got through the security line and getting our stuff together, I asked where he was going. He said Dallas for the Final Four. I tried to engage him in some sports talk and he was answering in short sentences, but he seemed willing to converse with me. We walked towards the gates, and I met his co-host Evan Roberts for the first time. We talked a little about the Mets, some other sports stuff, and Texas. They were kind enough to take photos with me.

After maybe 15 minutes, I left them. Before long, I realized that every Chicago flight was delayed. It was around 5:30 and the next Chicago flight wasn't leaving till 7. I didn't want to think about that, so I went back to chat with Joe and Evan for a few minutes. I knew their flight was leaving at six. Maybe I should not have gone back. I didn't do much talking, I just hung bear them for a bit. Being around those delayed flights, not knowing if I was getting home, was tough. I guess I wanted a distraction. They left around 5:50 and I thanked them for having a great show and entertaining me every weekday from 9-12 Central time. As for me, I got the last direct Chicago flight home. Everything seemed cool.

12 hours later, I'm at work, processing financial aid files. Joe and Evan go on the air. And the first thing Joe does is talk about the horrible travel. He mentions the "obnoxious Mets fan in a Matt Harvey jersey who was up his rear end". Considering Joe's problem with Harvey, that jersey may have been an issue too! Joe also said Evan did a great job getting rid of me which was not true, since I walked away on my own. But I'm listening to this rant and I swear it's a dream. I couldn't even move. For him to get on me like that after the fact is only inappropriate, it's disrespecful and it's disgusting. I thought I had been very respectful and appreciative. If he and Evan had something to do, I would have walked away sooner. I never got that impression whatsoever. And I pity him that he decided to go the backbiting route. It shows me what a coward he really is. Yet, I'm kind of flattered that he remembered me so well that he felt compelled to insult me 12 hours later.

Maybe it was because he hates flying. He had the nerve to then say how brutal it was that he couldn't get peanuts in coach, and they were serving  filet mignon in first class in front of him! Since he clearly hates flying., maybe I just caught him at the wrong time. The fact is I'd met him twice before this and he was cool then.

I tweeted Evan expressing my disappointment in Joe for taking cheap shots at me. Of course, he hasn't responded and I'm sure he won't. How do I feel now? Well, it's been 15 hours and I still really don't believe what happened Don;t get me wrong, I still love their show. That doesn't change. But Joe Benigno once said he became successful in sports radio because he never stopped being a fan. Apparently, he has forgotten what it's like to be a fan. Because he clearly doesn't care about them. I have lost a lot of respect for him as a man.

No comments: