Monday, July 13, 2015

New York City, part 3

I left the apartment sound 8:30 and planned to get a bottle of water at the local Pelham mini mart. I did there behind one guy for for minutes and then two people cut in front of me, so I walked out. Fun start. I took 6 to the F and had to walk three blocks to Lexington and 63rd from 59th St. I went down five flights of stairs only to get to the platform and find out that the F trains were not running downtown that weekend. So back up the stairs I went, all five flights.

So I was 15 blocks away and my father had already been waiting 15 minutes the NHL store, so I did something I'd never done before. I caught a cab on my own. I bought a gray 3/4 sleeve Rangers shirt. I was looking for a hoodie, but i was pleased with my purchase. I needed a drink, so I got a green peach tea lemonade at Starbucks, about a full dollar more expensive than the Starbucks where I work. We walked by Carnegie Hall, after he turned the wrong direction, but hey, we killed a few extra minutes before lunch.

I had a groupon for Uncle Jack's steakhouse and since neither of us go out for steak much, I thought it would be a nice treat. We started with two appetizers: Wagyu meatballs and  baked clams. Both were great and the clams and that oreganata bread crumb topping that we like. The house salads with citrus vinaigrette were gobbled quite quickly. Then cane the main event. We both got a 14 ounce strip streak and it wad excellent. Great crust, full of juice, and cooked a perfect medium rare. Usually it comes with garlic mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, but the chef gave us German potatoes and sauteed spinach due to my dad's dairy allergy. The sides were outstanding as well. For dessert, we split a ginger and key lime crumble with graham cracker crumbs in a mason jar. It tasted like an upside down key lime pie. Nice tart lime flavor but it was really filling. The service was prompt and friendly and we had just a great experience.

Then it was onto Queens and Citi Field for the Mets game. We had seats in the Caesar's club section, right in front of the press box. It was a warm day so I'm glad we were in the shade all day. Arizona took an early two run lead and we were all nervous. The game turned in the fifth inning when Lucas Duda crushed an opposite field home run. Later that inning, Matt Harvey hit his first career home run, giving the Mets the lead. Mets won 4-2. I walked away with a lot of mercy, including two Juan Lagares bobbleheads, a new cap, a key ring, and car decal. I didn't even eat though, just drank a souvenir lemonade. So I said goodbye to my father and I wound up sitting in Grand Central for an hour waiting for another friend to finalize her plans.

I met Laura for the first time and she took me to Throggs Neck to an Italian place that she enjoys. I liked it, but they were pumping the house music so loud that it quickly got annoying. And I ordered an iced tea and I know it wasn't brewed. It was disgusting. A decent restaurant should always brew their own tea, no excuses! I had a dish with chicken, sausage, potatoes, pepperocini, and a lot of olive oil and white wine. Really good stuff. Nothing like good 10 pm Italian food. She was great company and I'm glad we finally got to meet after about a year of virtual communication.

No comments: