Thursday, July 23, 2015

Why we as Mets fans are crazy

This is taken verbatim from Bill Price's blog in the Daily News this afternoon. It perfectly sums up the mentality of a Mets fan and why we are crazy, especially as this team is a few games out of a playoff spot, but feel so far away.

I went to the Yankee game Thursday afternoon and while I was there got into a conversation with a non-Mets fan (something I usually don't like to do), and he asked me why are Mets fans so dramatic, so reactionary, losing their minds with every bad loss and even looking at a positive sign with a crooked grin?
I thought about it for a second and told him that we are like that because we are so used to things falling apart, so beaten down by the losing and that any good news is taken with a grain of salt and any bad news is looked at as the beginning of the end.
All day long, as the Yankees were pounding the quitting Orioles, I didn't think twice about my answer, figuring I had nailed it on the head, but when I got back to BBHQ and started reading all the quotes from Sandy Alderson and Terry Collins, I realized my original answer is incorrect. What I should have said is, "Because the franchise we root for is a complete, dysfunctional mess."
Think about what has gone on in the last 24 hours: The Mets lose a brutal game, the manager takes the blame for the game (as well as he should have), and then today Terry Collins reveals Michael Cuddyer can barely walk, but won't go on the DL, and then Alderson says he can take on a big contract, but no one believes him (gee, I wonder why).  Oh, I forgot to mention that the Mets also announced a lineup for Thursday's game that most Triple-A pitchers could dominate, let alone the guy they are facing in Clayton Kershaw. The only good news is that Zack Greinke's wife is in labor and he headed back to LA (take your time Mrs. Greinke).
And then we find out the Aramis Ramirez went to the Pirates for a bag of balls. The Pirates just had to pick up $3M. Imagine having Ramirez hitting cleanup tonight instead of John Mayberry Jr.
Anyway, back to my original point, you get the feeling the Mets players, execs, managers and GMs enjoy screwing with us, playing with our emotions, making us crazier than we already are. How else can you explain this Cuddyer situation or Alderson being a smug, joker as another season goes down the tubes? Maybe they hold these press conferences, then go on twitter and have a couple of good laughs.At least that would make some sense and make us feel better.
But in reality, as each day goes on you get the impression they have no idea what they doing, no idea how to fix this mess and no idea how insane they are driving their paying customers. Unless something changes by Friday, the only non-pitching big names playing for the Mets this weekend will be Nancy and Ann Wilson. At least the Mets, for once, will have some Heart.
As for the fans, we have heart, but our patience and minds are wearing thin.

No comments: