Saturday, August 22, 2015

No control

So here was the plan for Saturday. Get up, run, go to work, then meet up with my friends in Wheaton and head into the city for dinner at Shake Shack and then to Navy Pier for fireworks.

I got to work at ten and it's important to note that the last couple of weekend lunch shifts have been dead. I have been leaving at 2 pm or 2:30 most of the time. My hope was to leave by 4:30, which would give me enough time to home, change, and drive thirty minutes to Wheaton. So I checked the schedule for the day and my heart sank. The third server was not scheduled to come in until 4:30 and then three more were coming in at five. Previously, the third server would come in at two or three in the afternoon. So I knew it was trouble.

The lunch shift wasn't dead, but it certainly wasn't busy. I had maybe five or six tables until 3 pm. But I just knew around 4, someone would come in and I'd stay late. Sure enough, I got a table at 3:15 and then another right before 4 pm. On the second one, I knew At the end, I left the building around 5:30. I was not going to hold anyone up, so I texted them to go ahead without me.

As I reflect on what feels like a wasted day, I realize something. America is only the land of the free if you have the money to buy the freedom. When you don't have the money, you pretty much to give in to authority just to get by. It's sad, but it's reality.

No comments: