Saturday, September 12, 2015

Festival of the Vine

So today, I stopped by my favorite summer festival, Festival of the Vine. They have samples of food local Geneva eateries as well some great wines. They also have live music and a craft fair as well. this year, I had to attend on Friday afternoon, since I worked Friday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon and Ring of Honor is happening Saturday night in Chicago Ridge. 

After running a few errands at the cleaners, car wash, and bank, I got to downtown Geneva around 11:15, well before it got crowded. I bought 30 dollars in tickets, trying to stay on a budget. Yeah I know, some budget right? All the food samples cost 1-5 tickets and the wines are all 4, 6, or 12 tickets. All the 4 ticket ones are the basics with brand names like Rex Goliath and Beringer. I couldn't mentally or financially justify spending $12 for one cup of wine, so I stayed in the six ticket range. 

I usually opt for red wine over white, so I started with the Urlo Red Blend. This Tuscan blend combines the rustic flavor charm of an Italian red with the full-bodied, fruit-driven style of new world wine making. It had a full finish with a lingering vanilla note. I definitely enjoyed that one. The Dreaming Tree Pinot Noir comes from musician Dave Matthews. This California Pinot Noir highlights flavors and aromas of ripe cherry, wild strawberry, and caramel. It had a much lighter taste than the blend, but it was still enjoyable. I did have a white, the Ruffino Moscato. I could taste the fruit flavors, especially peach and orange blossoms. It was just fine, but I wouldn't drink it again.

For the food, I started at Geneva Ale House, one of my favorite bars in the area. They have an excellent menu and an extensive beer selection. I tried the campfire slider, which was a burger topped with maple-glazed pork belly, maple bacon, maple chipotle BBQ sauce and onion straws. It was really a good combination of flavors, thought the burger may have been a little overcooked. then I checked out the Nobel House stand, my other favorite restaurant in Geneva. I planned on getting their burnt ends, but the executive chef was there and he sold me on the pulled bacon sandwich. It looked just like pulled pork. They served it on a small brioche roll and there were two housemade BBQ sauces to top it with. It was so ridiculously tender and fatty. Just a total indulgence of happiness and pork goodness. 

I got a fish taco from Bien Trucha, which I think I've done the last two years. I would like to go back to their restaurant, but I don't like that you have to get four of the same tacos in each order. I mentioned to the guy at the stand that a taco sampler would be great for people like me, who would likely come alone. Four different tacos, just to try a little of everything. As good as their Mexican food is, I would be willing to pay for that. For dessert, I went with Kilwin's, a new addition to the dessert scene in Illinois. I had their apple pie ice cram in a waffle cone. The ice cream looked like French vanilla on the surface, But inside were tiny chunks of apples, caramel, and bits of apple pie crust. It was an awesome flavor of ice cream. 

OK, I bought five more dollars in tickets to get the ice cream. Well worth it though. I'll be back next year, for sure. 

No comments: