Thursday, November 16, 2017

24 Hours Was All

It was just another Friday night Meetup group event. About a dozen of us were meeting up at Tradition brewery, just a two minute walk from my apartment. I got there around 7:45. Kevin (the well dressed Asian), Rodney (the beer aficionado who needs to go to the dentist), and Jordan (the big boned group organizer) were already there.

A few ladies from the group shuffled in, including one I had never seen before that caught my attention. She appeared to be about 40 with shoulder length dark blonde hair that had been spiral curled. She was wearing jeans, a black leather jacket, and a multi-colored tank top that certainly showed off her impressive assets. She would later say that she was surprised a guy like me was there and that she was waiting for me to say something dumb or have a terrible speaking voice. She told me her name was Jessica and after a minute of small talk, she headed over to the bar to get a beer. I could see a guy or two trying to get her attention. Though I talked with a few people, I had an eye always watching wear she was going.

About 12 people came and we moved upstairs to a communal table. I made sure to sit next to her. I was facing a few other people who were there when I suddenly felt her soft hand gently touch my left wrist. A shiver went through me. She had noticed my black prayer bracelet. I had gotten it back at The Well, two years ago in Geneva. We began discussing faith and it didn’t take us long to figure out we had a lot in common in terms of value and beliefs. When she mentioned that values were the most important thing in a relationship, I had a good feeling. But gosh, I couldn’t stop staring at her chest! Hey, I am a guy, I'm a writer, I'm cursed with an eye for detail. I also found out that she had only moved to Virginia two weeks prior, from Southern California. She didn’t have a job, but she moved here hoping the prospects would be better. And I thought I took a big chance by leaving my home and traveling 1,500 miles when I actually had a job lined up!

At 9:15, Jordan and I left for our next event, karaoke at Quaker Steak and Lube, which was about ten minutes up the road. We arrived and within a few minutes, there were about 12 of us crammed in a tiny booth. There was one guy sitting between her and I so I mostly chatted with my friends Jon, Shawn, and Christina. I don’t remember much about that hour except I drank a huge Yuengling and people were talking the most useless BS imaginable; I think we were just letting out frustrations on a Friday night.

We soon worked our way to the ventilated side room, where the karaoke was but smoking was also allowed. Within a few minutes, we got word about a murder that happened a few yards away from the restaurant. Some guy just got shot in his car.
Jordan had gotten drunk by this time, I saw him drink two flights of eight beers plus two or three 22 ouncers. I turned around and saw him trying to rub up on Jessica. I wanted to kill him. Even though he weighs about 100 pounds more than me, and I had considered him my friend, I would have given him my best shot.

I was ready to leave by midnight. The singers sucked and the cigarette smoke was wearing my energy down. I was actually the only guy in the group who had the balls to sing. Of course, I performed a Bee Gees song, I went with Jive Talking. I said my goodbyes and Jessica was about to leave, but I caught up with her. I promised to message her through Meetup and she said yes. I gave her a big hug and even snuck in a quick peck on her cheek. I said good night and went to my car feeling pretty decent. I’ve never gotten a date out of a Meetup group before, but I had a confident feeling I was going to talk to this girl again.

I woke up the next morning around 8:30, feeling a little groggy after a steady stream of Yeungling. I turned my phone on and, I had a friend request on Facebook. The first name was Jessica. Now I didn’t know her last name and the picture didn’t look too much like her. I started to think to myself that this just didn’t make sense. I’m the one who’s supposed to pursue and fail miserably at it. It’s my trademark. When I saw her Facebook address was in Costa Verde, CA, I knew it was her. She had actually tracked me down right after we said good night.

We messaged a little bit that day and we agreed to meet that night at City Life Church in Newport News, near CNU. It offered a Saturday night service, and she had wanted to try it out. I missed one turn, but she got really lost, Google sent her on a path where she had to make four U-turns. Then, because there were four doors to get in the building, we had trouble figuring out where the other person was. She walked in, we gave each other a huge smile, and embraced. Her hair was straight this time, I almost didn’t recognize her.

This church actually is located inside a large Baptist church. The pastor came up and introduced himself, we had a little trouble explaining how we knew each other, but it was kind of interesting to him. The service was energetic and lively, it lasted about 90 minutes.

At 6:30, we definitely weren’t ready to say good night. She was hungry, but I really wasn’t, so I drove us to Bonefish. But with a 45 minute wait, we decided that wasn’t the best idea. We then tried 1608 Craft House. With the parking lot full, I pulled in next door to an auto parts store. I pulled onto the gravelly lot and settled right next to a tree and behind a tractor trailer. Pretty impressive park job.

We sat at a corner table for two at a window, which gave us a view of the dark parking lot. She ordered a dirty martini and I went with the Dogfish Head Pennsylvania tuxedo pale ale. For dessert, we split Bourbon barrel bread pudding with caramel and ice cream. Cost me $32, and yes, I paid. Even though I get uneasy about paying, I know it’s the right thing to do sometimes. It wasn’t supposed to a date, but it just turned into one. Some of the things we talked about were politics, family, surfing, travel, and fitness. I found out she actually had a grown son, which I preferred, because one, he was in California, and two, she didn’t have to take care of him 24/7. I held her hand for about 10 minutes and it felt great. What surprised was when she told me she hadn’t been in a relationship in 13 years.

Realizing they probably needed the table, we waked back to my car and sat inside. It was really dark, there was just a smidgen of light coming from the lights of the restaurant and a telephone pole. In the darkness, she could see my eyes changed and I just laughed. I always thought I had brown eyes until another girl mentioned to me that she thought they were hazel. I’m pretty sure that my eyes change color in different levels of light. Sensing my opportunity, I leaned a little closer to her. I asked if she was sure. She said yes. I leaned closer. Are you really sure? She leaned in. Our lips touched.

We wound up fogging all my windows at least three times. It was incredible. Her lips were amazingly tender. She grabbed me so tight, we wanted to fall asleep together so much. We drove back to the church lot and did it all over again. We didn’t say good night until nearly 11 pm. The next day came and she went for a day hike. She thought it over, and it was over. I found out that she is planning to leave Virginia by Christmas if she doesn’t get a job.

I don’t know if I’m more angry at her or angry at the circumstances. But now I don’t want to think of her or even talk to her. It’s almost as if she’s looking for a reason to not get attached to me. The circumstances make it challenging. I just wish she hadn’t sucked me in only to hurt me less than two days later.



No comments: