Friday, November 03, 2017

What Season Am I In?

We're a couple of days into November. Now when I think of the weather in November that I'm used to, it's kind of a mixture. You might get a day in the upper 60s early on as that last little tease. But by Thanksgiving, you'd better have your thermals, winter gloves, skull cap, and Canadian goose or Patagonia jacket all on standby.

Here in Virginia, I'm still able to wear shorts in the evening. I can't say that I'm minding this. I just hope it doesn't drop from 70 degrees to 30 degrees in the span of a day.

I really don't want to be lonely tonight. It's a Friday night around 11 p.m., and I'm laying in bed, listening to mellow music, drinking a local IPA, and writing. But it isn't easy seeing posts on social media about date nights and wondering why I don't have one. Then again, I guess it's nice to have my freedom, my sanity, and my money. Then I look at the situation from another perspective and I realize being alone is certainly testing my resolve. I settled for women who were not right for me many times in the past. I am not going to do that ever again. I wonder if the day will just come when I realize it's too late for me to fall in love. Because God knows I don't want my wedding night to be the same day I join the AARP Club.

And now I can follow up about the stop sign violation. It turns out the same ridiculous cop pulled over three other people for the same reason. Who knows, they might have even been at the same stop sign. So we all showed up for traffic court in downtown Newport News, which is not exactly downtown Beverly Hills. And the cop turned out to be sick, so he didn't even show up. Then that left us with two choices. We could either plea guilty and pay $50 and be done with it or we could come back in 2 weeks and if he didn't show up again, the case would be dismissed. I actually felt a tremendous sense of relief knowing that my maximum fine would only be $50. I mean, for a stop sign, in the south? I expected triple figures. So I decided to press my luck and take the chance that he won't show up in 2 weeks. At the very least I think I deserve to explain myself and make my case.

I realize with dentists, there are so many different kinds. Someone to do all the work themselves, and some let the hygienist do all the dirty work before they come in and just check on the bites and consider their work to be done. In St. Charles, I had a dentist who did everything himself and I was always out of there in 15 minutes. This new dentist I went to was breaking down scientific terms and diseases that I've never heard of, in fact I think he was trying to just confuse me so I would just trust him and do whatever he wanted. I think his main goal was to sell me on Invisalign so I wouldn't lose teeth in a few years. I guess we'll just see how that goes. But what I saw a coupon for $500 down, I kind of get the idea that buying a mansion in Monaco would be cheaper. I think I'll probably get my wisdom teeth taken out in the next year or two though.

I'm feeling a desire to learn to paint better. I find it focuses my energy well, and it's a good challenge for me. I also feel like I have some natural ability to do it, at least people seem to think so. But there are three issues that I need to address before I invest myself in this endeavor. One, it's expensive to buy the supplies. Two, it would make an absolute mess. And three, what would I do with the finished paintings? If I try to sell them and make money, I might take it personally if nobody ever brought them. I guess that's my rejection issue gnawing at me still.

Only one month remains until my solo trip to DC. It's only going to be two days, but it will be my first real trip since July. And I'm pretty confident I will enjoy this city more than I enjoyed St Louis. On my agenda are the International Spy Museum, Arlington Cemetery, the newseum, Rangers game, and of course, a number of restaurants. The big thing for me is finding the right hotel, between neighborhood and price. I don't mind staying a little outside of downtown, so long as I'm near the train.

No comments: