Thursday, December 28, 2017

Virginia Jets Fans

Before moving to Newport News, I had been living in Chicago for most of 20 years. And during that period of time, I probably watched about 85 percent of all the games the New York Jets played. Rookie's was the bar I hit the most, but I certainly spent a good amount of time in Real Time and Bud's as well. There were occasional complications like intramural sports or family obligations. But over those 20 years, I rarely had fellow Jets fans with whom to watch those games. There was a Jets group in downtown Chicago that I discovered around 2009, but it was difficult to drive an hour downtown, typically in bad weather, and find parking. Throw in the game, and it took up maybe six hours of a typical Sunday.

So when I relocated, I looked for fan groups of the teams I supported. It wasn't easy to find fans of the Mets, Rangers, and Knicks, though I'd eventually find Rangers fans near DC and also come to find out there are many Mets fans, there's just no organization for them. However, I found a Jets fans group that met in Norfolk and Virginia Beach for every game. I was impressed by two things. One was the loyalty. There were anywhere between 20-60 people at every game. But the thing that really got to me was the details and the organization. The group's founder, Stirling, had a Jets bus as well as a Jets limo, which he purchased during the season. And we consumed a lot of alcohol on those vehicles. In the limo, it was Brooklyn winter ale. On the bus, it could be eggnog, tequila, or any random concoction that Stirling was prepping for that weekend.

Every week, we had a raffle. There was always a 50/50, and I won one of them. I took home $49 and that was during the Thursday night game vs. Buffalo. During Week 16, I was one of the winners of the premium raffle and my selection was a pair of framed Chad Pennington rookie cards. I lost a whole lot more than I won, but the money always went to support the club. I also remember the annual chili cook off, held in a church. That happened during the Meltdown in Miami. The only reason I didn't prepare a chili was because I did not have a slow cooker. But next year, I may have a batch ready. I usually make veggie chili, but I'm not sure that'll go over well in a crowd of men.

A few thoughts on the members of the group I consider myself closest to:

Stirling-Our brave leader. He's been leading for 26 years. He is creative with his rewards, his Jet fandom cannot be questioned, and he is a generous soul.
Ken-Our vet. He's had some physical and mental issues. But he's definitely my friend. I love his passion and his energy.
Ray-The mascot and the energy of the group. He and I lead the Jets chants at different times. He's very smart, knows his football, and he's an easy to chat with.
Barb-the mom of the group. The organizer and the hugger.
Sam-The younger version of Rex Ryan, in terms of face and build. His wife, Dee, is always there too. Their son has his green mohawk, God bless him. He's a little too much of a Yankees fan, but hey what can you do.
Dennis-The incoming President of the group. I don't know him all that well, but I'll be interested to see what he does to change the club.
Chip-Your stereotypical silver haired Long Islander. His voice always sounds strained, distressed, and aghast as he watches every play. Attends every week.
Suzanne-Chip's daughter. she's a great singer and has an obsession with Pac Man. If she was just a few years younger, well, who knows...
LeShay-One tough broad and I mean that with love. She only came to maybe 4 or 5 games this year, it might have had to do with her leg problems, I frequently see her with a cast or brace on. She has a ton of spunk but gives the best hugs.
Al-The old grizzled paison veteran. He's been in the group for maybe 25 years and he makes occasional appearances. He's never one to refrain from expressing his opinion on the Jets.
Gary-Nobody gets drink faster than this guy
Patrick and Joe-I didn't realize until about Week 7 that they're father and son. The funny thing here is that Patrick looks like one of my best friends, who's named Joe, who is also a sick Jet fan.

I have lived in Virginia for five months. And in that five month period, I have had two families. One is my small group from Grace Bible Church. The other is the Virginia Jets fans group.

No comments: