Saturday, March 10, 2018

Seven days left

Well I hit the peak of my training and now I get to start dialing it back a little bit. Last Monday I ran 6.25 miles in just under 49 minutes, or 7:48 per mile. That was a heavy pace, but I got through it without too much difficulty. The next day I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and then on Wednesday I ran 5 miles in 40 minutes. So that pace was about the same as Monday's. After taking a day of rest on Thursday I ran 5 miles again, and I did it two minutes faster on Friday. That was where I ran a little bit faster. As I remember I ran 8 miles per hour for two of the miles before getting incredibly fast for the last mile. I think I picked it 9 miles per hour for the last minute. I did beat 7:30 a mile on that last run. And then today I ran a 5K in 25 minutes and 30 seconds, I purposely ran a little bit slower.

At this point I think the key is going to be finding a pace that I can maintain to start off for at least the first half a mile and maybe even the first mile. I want to run at least 7.5 miles per hour throughout the whole race because that would enable me to run the race in under 40 minutes. My ultimate hope would be to be able to run at 8 miles per hour throughout the whole race, but I don't know if I quite have that in me right now. I know I can pick it up as I go. But I feel like I'm in a pretty place of physical condition; about the only issue is needing to ice my left shin down. I only have one tempo run left, and that's for 20 minutes on Tuesday. But I'm going to run that one pretty hard to make sure that I can maintain that fast pace. The one thing I will definitely do is rest my body on Friday. Some people like to get a workout in the day before a race, for me I prefer to just rest and if I do anything physical, it would just be stretching myself out.

No comments: