Sunday, March 04, 2018

Two weeks till raceday

I rarely got sick in the last five years or so. Maybe one time a year on average. I think I missed maybe two days of work due to illness over those five years, but no more than that.

Well I've been sick twice inside of three weeks. First the flu and now a touch of a cold. I don't know what's causing it, but maybe these dramatic temperature changes have something to do with it. In Chicago it was miserable weather from Thanksgiving through maybe...Memorial Day. That's right, the weather ticked you off, but at least you knew what to expect. Not here. 60 then 40 then 55 then 35. It's crazy.

So this is not helping me with my training. I hit my biggest obstacle on Friday when I ran seven miles in 56:25. I was an absolute mess by the end, but I got through that run very well. My confidence was growing. But then two days later, I struggled to do three miles at a faster pace. I don't know if it's because I used a different treadmill or maybe my illness was inhibiting my ability to breathe.

But it's Sunday right now and after this coming Wednesday, I start to dial back my intensity. At this point, I really don't think I have the speed that I want to have. the past, In I have run 5 miles in just over 35 minutes before and as recently as a year ago, I did it in under 38 minutes. This time, I don't know if I'll beat 40 minutes. Having flat ground on the shores of Virginia Beach will help since I won't have to deal with elevation. I really need to get myself right and find my ideal pace.

No comments: