Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The training continues

At this point, I have just begun Week 4 out of 6 in training for the 8k. I can say I am starting to feel a difference. Here's what's happened in the last week.

Tuesday, Feb 20
3.55 miles on the elliptical on 30 minutes

Wednesday, Feb 21
Interval run. Ran 3.2 miles in 32 minutes, though 12 minutes were done at around 8 mph. I felt the inside of my right foot really start to blister, so I change out the foot supports in my sneakers. Even though the fit is a little tight, I can certainly feel the extra support on my insteps.

Friday, Feb 23
The longest run yet. 6.1 miles in 52 minutes. That's about 8:31 per mile. Ideally, I would like to run it in about 7:45, but this run was more about endurance than speed.

Saturday, Feb 24
3.12 miles in 23:45. This was designed to be an easy run, but I ran it at 7:37 mile, almost a minute faster than the long run. Felt pretty good through the run,a side from a stitch in the right side of my rib cage.

Sunday, Feb 25
It was a cross training day or a day of rest. I've rested enough. 40 minutes on the elliptical, 4.87 miles covered. Compared to my last elliptical workout, I worked ten extra minutes and my average pace was 15 seconds faster per mile.

Monday, Feb 26
Back to the power runs. It was a 40 minute tempo run, including a 10 minute warm up and cool down. I started at 7.1 mph and worked up to 7.8. I felt good after 40 minutes so I gave it just one more minute. 5.05 miles in 41 minutes, 8:07 per mile. Knowing that I can finish five miles in right around 40 minutes gives me some optimism. The next seven days are the most intense in the training process, leading up to a 7 mile run next Monday.

No comments: