Saturday, September 01, 2018

Europe, part 2

Telling time is not as simple as looking at my phone. I haven't owned a watch in eight years and I have no desire to get one again. I can mentally add six hours to my phone time, which will leave me second guessing myself, or I'll have to use my iPod, which doesn't update automatically.
We thought about getting the breakfast buffet at the Marriott for $18, but we passed on that in order to make sure we got to the Vatican on time. We knew we had a train station across the street from our hotel, but it took ten minutes of walking underground to reach it. And we regretted not converting some of our money to Euros, and not just for tips. But the ticket vending machine only was accepting cash. I mean, how is there not a machine that accepts cards? So we nearly began walking through another side of the tunnel to the street, when we saw a ticket booth being manned by actual human beings.
 
Three stops and five minutes of walking later, we stood in the shadow of the high ancient stone walls of the Vatican. Even though I'm not Catholic, there is some of it in my history and lineage, so I feel a small part of that was for my paternal family. There were dozens of tours going on, plenty of noise and not much room for walking. There were about 15 people in the group total and we all got head sets so we could hear the guide speak to us. We learned about the history of the Sistine Chapel before working our way through many museums, all connected together, which had some of the most remarkable paintings and sculptures I've seen. I also didn't expect to see so many ceilings so carefully painted, in addition to the Chapel. We have Raphael to thank for that.
 
To see the Sistine Chapel from the outside, it looked a little like the inspiration for our Capitol buildings with its classical gothic dome. I was really disappointed we couldn't take pictures inside the chapel with its iconic ceiling. I guess if it was permitted, then people would stay inside for hours at a time to capture all those details, but then again, they'd all be in vain. The work of Michelangelo is so intricate, so detailed, so meticulous. Photography could not capture all that was done in that rectangular room over 500 years ago. Robin Williams said it right in Good Will Hunting. I guess you just have to experience it.
 
The Basilica of St Peter was tremendous in its own way. It's the largest church I've ever seen. It may be shaped like a cross,  but there are so many little parts with candles, statues, and confession booths. And I never planned to St. Peter's Square and the tomb of Pope John Paul II. I thought about all the history and dedication of these people to their faith. Though I don't understand certain Catholic beliefs and practices, I respect the people who devote themselves to that particular faith because it's not easy. And I also thought it's sad about the mistakes people have made on the inside and how that's hurt the Christian faith in general. The reassurance I have is Jesus does not change no matter how many mistakes his followers make. And that's why it's tough for me when I see people refuse to forgive others. Because who among us does not need to be forgiven for something?
 
I guess I got a little off topic. We returned to the hotel in a cab to check out and grabbed a quick lunch at a local outdoor restaurant. Pizza with artichokes, mushrooms, and prosciutto. Another amazing one,  I think that's four on this trip. The Caesar salad with chicken and peppered bacon. And this amazing chewy Italian bread... so good.
 
Then another cab to Roma Termini. The 1:42 train to Civitavecchia. Almost cruise time...

No comments: