Sunday, October 20, 2019

Southern Vacation, part 1

This schedule summarizes me taking a vacation. On Saturday, I worked 9-4 and 5-10:30. I was in bed by 11 pm. On Sunday, I got up at 1:30 am, ran 6.3 miles, taking a 5 a.m. flight to Charlotte and then onto Destin, FL. Vacation time is well deserved and it's on!

Ok, story from the Newport News airport. Guy in front of me is checking at the airport. I can tell from his bag he's a marine. Agent asks if he's flying to Charlotte or Philly, those are the only airports you can fly to from Newport news. says he doesn't know. He's a Marine and doesn't know where to fly! And factor in that he's defending our country... this doesn't exactly instill me with confidence. 

Anyway, I flew into Charlotte, which has some of the worst amenities for a major airport in the country. People actually think the Great American Bagel is like a breakfast destination, the line was maybe 20 people long. As a NY guy, their bagels are the equivalent of Taco Bell to someone from Texas. Give me the tomazzo bagel and let's just move on. And their PZA is just about the worst pizza I have ever had. Sour sauce, salty cheese, I mean I've had frozen pizzas that tasted like Frank Pepes by comparison. And even better, you pay the outrageous airport prices for it! But thank God for the Admirals Club, I got my free avocado toast with egg, tomato,  crumbled cheese, red onion, smoked salmon, and s&p. It tasted great, but my gosh, one bite and the ingredients exploded all over the carpet, my chair, my jeans... and maybe one crumb made it to the mini sized paper plate. 

Newport News was rainy, Charlotte was cloudy. Give me some of that Florida sun, because as hard as I've worked, I've earned this. And praise be to God that even if I'm not a millionaire, I still have some spare income where I can have some fun and have these unique experiences. 

No comments: