Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Lowcountry, part 3

I woke up and it was July, the best month of the year following the worst month of every year. I wanted to do the Prohibition Museum, but mom had really no interest and wanted to leave Savannah. I didn't feel it was worth it to hold us up, so we checked out pretty early on Wednesday morning. Katie was such a cute front desk worker, it was sad to leave her. But hey, ring was on the fourth finger of the left hand

We drove across the bridge and into South Carolina. Mom wanted to visit Latitudes, which is a Jimmy Buffett themed home complex. They have a full activity center, pools, theater, restaurant, pickleball, tennis, dog park (Barkaritaville), and tons of other features. It's a pretty fantastic complex, if they had apartments or townhomes, I would probably consider it. We toured the homes for about 45 minutes before heading back to our car and towards  Bluffton, an adjoining growing town near Hilton Head, and it's a hot bed for retirees.

After not having breakfast, we were ready for grub. The British Open had been on my radar since the early stages of planning this trip. We started with the Pub Wellingtons, basically mini Beef Wellingtons served over brown gravy. I'm not a Wellington fan, but I did like these. There was melted bleu cheese, some mushrooms, and they helped to enhance the flavor of the beef. 

Since I was in a UK pub, I pretty much had to go with fish and chips. The portion was more than acceptable, 9 ounces of cod that had been beer battered, the way God intended fried fish to be prepared. And sure enough, the fish came out crispy outside and flaky on the inside. The fries weren't fresh cut, but they were still well seasoned and crispy. I asked for a ramekin of honey mustard and it was a perfect dipping sauce for the fries. Tartar sauce and fries were fine too.

And then onto Hilton Head Island. My first thoughts were it was very clean, there were a lot of people riding bicycles, and way too many rotaries. So many rotaries, I thought I was on Cape Cod. And around rush hour, oh my gosh, do they back up!

We stayed at the Marriott Surf Watch hotel, which is a vacation club property, or a kind way of saying timeshare. As much as I dread timeshares, this place was fantastic. We had an amazing spot, the back patio was overlooking the boadwalk that led to our beach. Fully equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, I even had my own bedroom with two beds and I had a separate bathroom and closet. My gosh, I even had a ceiling fan in my bedroom! I don't have a single ceiling fan in my whole apartment!

We made a run over to Publix and when e got back, I knew I had 36 hours until golf and I decided to hit up the putting green behind the front desk building. Pretty crazy, they have a putting green, cornhole, bocce, shuffleboard, multiple pools, even several hammocks by the small ponds. the only thing I wish they also had was a bar and restaurant, aside from the one down by the beach.

I wound up putting for about a half hour, experimenting with a cross handed group that helped me control the speed of the putts much better than with a traditional grip. Thankfully there were putters for rent at the front desk, but gosh, it looked like they were borrowed from a low class miniature golf course.

For dinner, it was Cajun steamed shrimp and corn on the cob from Publix. And then, Netflix, and a typical stupid fight, bedtime. 

No comments: