Monday, August 03, 2020

Opus 9 Steakhouse Review

I'm going to start right with the main event, because I know you're not reading this to see how the bread tasted. Fantastic steaks, nice and juicy with a touch of char, cooked exactly how we wanted, medium porterhouse and a medium rare strip. The sound of that sizzling butter as the meat is coming on that white hot plate, it is one of the most beautiful sounds human ears have ever heard. However my friend's strip was certainly oversalted, and that is saying a lot since they add salt to just about everything they eat. I took a bite of the strip and before i did, I had to actually scrape some of the salt off.

I was also pleased with their wine selections, they have about 150 bottles. I wound up ordering a wonderful Syrah from Oregon for $50. But the sever did not pour a taste from the bottle to see if we liked it, he just poured a whole glass. And he could've done a better job noticing when our water glasses were approaching empty.

I had further frustrations with him at the end when I specifically ordered the bananas foster cheesecake when I ordered my meal, since the menu stated this dessert needed to be ordered at dinner for prep time. When my dessert came, it was a regular slice of housemade cheesecake with strawberries, whipped cream, and berry puree. I didn't make a big deal of it, since it was a good dessert, but it was disappointing to not get what I asked for, especially since I was celebrating a birthday.

A few other notes about the meal. I've never seen another restaurant that puts their butter in a piping bag and squeeze it into a ramekin to accompany the bread, nice extra touch. The onion ring side we got was enormous, but they tasted great. Beer battered is always better, am I right? I took half of those home. Since I signed up for the email club, I got a free shrimp cocktail app. Very nice presentation with a silver slotted cup, and a space for each of the 5 shrimp. I liked the addition of remoulade to accompany the traditional cocktail sauce. With the potatoes, the garlic mashed were quite creamy, but nicely seasoned. I enjoyed my au gratin, they had a good amount of cheese, but not too much. I could have handled a little more pepper in them though.

Aside from did, with COVID going on, guests can scan a QR code and view the menu from their phone rather than having a hand held menu at their table.

Our bill came to about $200, which is pretty high when you consider the shrimp app was included and the service wasn't executed as smoothly or as tightly as it could've been. But I did have a great steak and that's really the most important thing. 

No comments: