Saturday, September 19, 2020

Bacon onion jam

So tonight, I made bacon onion jam for the first time. Basically I chopped a pound of bacon and rendered out the fat, then I sauteed four sliced Vidalia onions with some brown sugar, beer, fresh thyme, and salt. It took about two hours for the jam to really come together, even though I was told it would only take about 45 minutes. Then I finished it with a little balsamic vinegar for some acidity, sweetness, and tang. 

So now the question is what will I put this on? Well it has already gone on top of a double cheeseburger with some pickles and Sir kensington's sauce, and that was absolutely fantastic. I have the rest of the jam sitting in a mason jar in my refrigerator and apparently it lasts for about a week. So I'm thinking maybe a grilled cheese, Hot Dogs, roast beef sandwiches, and an egg dish maybe. Or maybe I will even spread it with some almond butter and make a sandwich.

No comments: