Friday, January 01, 2021

Hello 2021

As I sit here in Richmond on this first day of the year of our Lord 2021, I think about what a terrible year we just survived. I think of all the people who died, whether or not it was COVID related or not, from Kobe Bryant to Tom Seaver to Brodie Lee, Kenny Rogers to Charlie Daniels to Charley Pride, and as an old soul, I recognize that the world is changing. And I fear, for the worst.

As I gaze to my left in a certain brewpub, I see a perverted rainbow flag. And it just makes me sick to my stomach how accepted it has become. Love may be love, but right is right, wrong is wrong, and sin is sin. And what most people call love, it's an impulsive feeling, a cry for acceptance. They don't know what love truly is, the sacrifice of selfishness, the truth telling, the enduring through hard times. To most of the snowflakes, it's just a temporary impulse. How tragic. I pity them, I don't hate them. Of course when you disagree with them, they think it's hate. But it's just pity that they don't know any better. 

I don't know how I would've survived in journalism. I am a writer at heart, but I left the industry in 2010 because it wasn't going to pay the bills and there was simply no room to advance as the industry fell onto its ass during that recession. But as I see the way major networks and tech giants are able to manipulate and distort truth, I realize that as a man who has morals, standards, and values, I would have been swallowed up and spit out. And as a current consumer, I believe there are many people who still love this country and recognize why we became the greatest country in the history of civilization. Unfortunately, there is a certain loud minority that wants to ruin everything for reasons I still don't understand. And the people who have the power... they can do whatever they want. 

I can't change the world. I feel like the best I can do is continue to work and save and have a little fun, and do it as long as I can while we incur God's inevitable wrath. The world is a bad place and people are not good. By and large, they will do good when needed, but they are out to help themselves and will step on anyone they need to in order to survive. If that makes me paranoid, well, I think I have a right to be. After seeing the injustices that have been incurred on my family, I expect no help from anyone. Divorce, prison, addiction, job loss, deceit, health problems, how much more do I need to see around me and in some cases, endure myself?

So how will I push through? The simplest answer is I can't afford not to. I know no other way. I live my life, I live with passion and purpose. Whether that's at work, in the gym, or even with friends and family. I never want to be a bore or lackadaisical. I need to have my integrity, and I will always be loyal to my convictions and beliefs. If that offends a few people along the way, I'll take that as I'm doing something right. I recognize there is a fine line between discrediting the belief vs discrediting the person. So if there's one thing I can make a better effort at doing better, that might be a good place to start. 

I hope 2021 includes new friends, real love, travel, more inner peace, and a closer relationship with God. Stay tuned...

No comments: