Friday, June 24, 2022

Summer Comes Around

While I don't really miss living in Chicago, they did know how to do their summers right. Every weekend, there was a different suburb that had a summer festival going on. Now never mind that it was basically the same festival with the same sponsors, mostly similar food vendors (I still can't forget the Genoa stand with the 10 inch Italian sausage sandwich cooked over charcoal that always seemed to show up). There would be a steady rotation of cover bands, maybe a local artist opening for them. I remember the band that only did Creedence songs, the band that only did Eagles songs, the band that blended jazz and rock together. 

Now, not so much. In Virginia, these things jut don't happen. There are some bands, but you may have to drive across the water or up to Williamsburg to find any music. There are events, it seems like most of them are alcohol based and to hear music, you have to actually go into a restaurant or bar, there's nothing on the streets or in parks, which is what I remember. Where did that all go?

I was considering going to a Pizzapalooza in downtown Newport News. Sounded great, but then I saw it was 4 slices for 40 bucks, including a boozed drink. I'm sorry, that's just terrible value in my mind. $25, maybe I would consider it. I'm leaning towards going to Redwood for their 3 year anniversary party for some of that special Wagyu smoked brisket.

It was fun going to two straight Norfolk Tides vs Syracuse Mets games. At least at the Norfolk stadium they cook those pretzels over a charcoal grill, the way they were meant to be prepared! It is an ok stadium, but it does feel a little generic after 30 years. The new scoreboards were much needed, they are far brighter than the previous ones had been.

And all this time I thought Roe vs Wade was about boat ownership...

Supreme Court, way to go! 

No comments: