Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The best album I've heard

And I've owned a good 70 record over the last 15 years so this is a pretty bold statement.

Let me start it this way. If you have any love for Creedence Clearwater Revival, country-rock, Delta blues, or just damn good music, I urge you go out and pick up John Fogerty's Blue Moon Swamp. I recently discovered the former Creedence lead singer's 1997 solo record that won the 1997 Grammy for Best Rock Album. And in these hot summer months, I can barely bring myself to hit the eject button on the stereo. I have never heard a record that blends country music, rock and roll, and blues so well and so fluidly.

Let's take this track by track

1) Southern Streamline.
This is the song that hooked me. I saw a video for this song on CMT 6 or 7 years ago. I didn't know Fogerty led CCR, I just remembered how catchy the sound was. So I had the song burned for me on a CD and once the CD wore out, I sprung for the whole record. If there was no other song on this record, this track would be worth 15 bucks. The rhythm is fast but controlled. You hear electric rock guitar, Hank Williams style pedal steel guitar, and dobro. And each one is used just enough to keep the sound balanced and fresh. One of the most fun songs I can ever remember hearing.

2) Hot Rod Heart.
I heard this on Fogerty's live album Premonition, released in 1999. As the title suggests, this is a sweet driving song. Kenny Aronoff's bass drum keeps this song energized and tough.

3) Blueboy.
My first thought was this is John imitating Steve Winwood's "Roll With It." Not a bad song to sound similar to though. John's travels to the swamps of Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana in preparation for this album is evident. Picture a little shack somewhere out in the boonies. And people head to that place to hear some good music.

4) A Hundred and Ten In the Shade.
This is the average critics' favorite track. It also won a Grammy for Best Rock Solo Performance. Very honest lyrics about hard labor. I love the 4 guys who sing backup on this track. They give it the downtrodden and painful feel the vocals needed. I love the one guy who ad-libs, "Oh yes, it's mighty mighty hot."

5) Rattlesnake Highway
This one is starting to grow on me. Pure aggression and frustration. A good song to listen to if you're having woman problems. Not like I would know...

6) Bring It Down to Jellyroll
Addictive. Addictive. Addictive. This song may even be more fun than "Streamline." John's loose and hard to understand vocals are great. The guitar solo is light and the organ solo with the drums and hand claps in the background is one of the most unique sounds on the record. I'm still not sure I know what a Jellyroll is but hey, you don't really need to. The lyrics hardly even matter here.

7) Walkin' in a Hurricane
Another fast played tough rock song.

8) Swamp River Days
Probably the best use of imagery on the record. The guitar riff is actually the same as "My Sharona." My favorite line is "Sweet Suzie do you think about me? That was good as it's ever gonna be." I can't help but think about Suzie Q, CCR's first single. Maybe he's saying the early days of Creedence were the best days before the band got famous. I doubt that's an intentional reference, but that's what it brings to mind for me.

9) Rambunctious Boy
The high sound of the guitar is reminiscent of the song Centerfield. That organ makes another appearance. A good song after a long week of work when you want to just kick back, have a cold drink (Alcoholic if you want!), and just be lazy.

10) Joy of My Life
John's first love song. I guess that's what a good marriage will do to a man. I've always liked the dobro and the prominent use of the dobro keeps this song from getting sappy or quaint.

11) Blue Moon Nights
I like that the whole record doesn't feel like hard rock. This song reminds me of what I might have heard coming out of Sun Studios in the 1950's with those early rockabilly records. That's if I hadn't been born 25 years later. Sounds like Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, the early Elvis records. This song was actually used in the movie "The Rookie." Watch the scene where Jim Morris trying out for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in camp.

12) Bad Bad Boy
Creedence could have done this song well. It's very simply produced. The lyrics are quick and straight forward. The guitar notes just echo and they sound sinister and dark but still sounds really approachable.

13) Just Pickin'
A fast 2-minute instrumental. Bonus track number 1.

14) Endless Sleep
This is the second bonus track. A cover tune from the 1950's. Somehow, the darker songs were saves for the end. The haunting tale about death and love doesn't take many risks musically. Which is good, since you have to listen to the song 20 times to get all the lyrics.

No comments: