Thursday, March 27, 2008

Disgraceful move by the Mets

Well, I am home and it's snowing again. Right now, Rangers and Devils are scoreless in the first period. I have a few things on my mind. So I'm going to track the game as I type. And let me start with this. We are 4 days from Opening Day of the 2008 baseball season. And I am again, one disgusted Mets fan. They announced today they have placed Ruben Gotay on waivers. And from all indications, it's to open up a roster spot for veteran journeyman Fernando Tatis.

What do the Mets have against Gotay? He had so many clutch hits last year, batted .318 against righties, and gave energy to a team that always seemed to be going through the motions last year. He reminded me of what Melvin Mora or Timo Perez used to do. Clearly, they don't like Gotay's defense, they admit this. OK, so they don't like a 25 year old kid's defense, but they'll go ahead and re-sign 32-year-old Luis Castillo to a 4-year deal, who is coming off arthroscopic surgery on BOTH KNEES?! How mobile can we expect him to be now, let alone when he's 36?

"I thought I did a good job last year," Gotay told multiple news outlets this morning. "I didn't deserve this." Damn right Ruben, you didn't.

First period over, 0-0. Pretty even.

Now Omar has a history of signing "his guys." Sometimes it has worked well (Endy Chavez). But he had Tatis in Montreal five years ago, which I think was the last time Tatis was in the major leagues. And I also know Tatis is a confirmed steroid user, another kind of player Omar a has a history of signing (Guillermo Mota). The Mets need power off the bench, no doubt and they need someone who can hit left handed pitching. And if Gotay had to be traded to land Xavier Nady from Pittsburgh or Brandon Inge from Detroit, I'd understand. But I cannot understand how Omar can justify trading for a washed up 33 year old, who had one good season in 1999, when he was probably juicing.

Gonna be a long year, baby.

No comments: