Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter 08

This Easter kind of snuck up on me, yet, I'm as excited about this one as I've been about this day in a few years. And I don't have any huge plans for Sunday. Now onto the life and times.

1) I was buying laundry detergent today. Now I mean this very seriously. What is the root of detergent? I mean there's deodorize, decompose, deconstruct. With those words, you get a feel of what the "de" is doing. Now thin about this word. De-terg-ent. What does that mean?

2) Willow Creek had an excellent service. The production and sets were much more laid back than in previous years and I appreciate that. There was certainly no loss in the impact. Bill Hybels discussed various icons such as God's love vs. human acceptance (something I can relate to), a grater purpose, the need for inner cleansing, and basic questions to life. It was one of the best messages I've heard him give.

3) Happy 20th birthday to Outback Steakhouse. I had the mixed grill of steak, scallops, and shrimp. It was excellent, but even after that, a grilled shrimp appetizer, salad, bread, rice, and spinach, I was still hungry. I'm sorry, but I could go for more than 2 shrimp, 2 scallops, and 4 oz of sirloin. Then again, I felt a little guilty when in church, they addressed hunger in the message.

4) My NCAA brackets blow this year. Am I about to watch UCLA and Pittsburgh lose?

5) Why do I have a brutal feeling about the fate of my Mets this year. I'm thinking 85 wins, 3rd place in the NL East. As great as the starting pitching is (when healthy!!!!), I just do not like our lineup.

6) Thank you God, that Scott Gomez is not seriously injured, and will not miss extensive playing time.

7) I just finished a bio on Frank Sinatra. OK read, but too many mafia stories for my liking. I would have liked to have read more about the music and the Rat Pack gang.

8) Now it's onto The Life and Death of Peter Sellers, best known for the Pink Panther movies. I'm only 20 pages into it and I already have a few huge issues. One, the author jumps around in the course of Sellers' life. He doesn't go in chronological order, he connects issues from Sellers' youth and adulthood from the start so it's hard to follow. Also, to understand this book, the reader has to watch almost every TV show and movie Sellers ever made. Worst of all, the author references himself way too often. For example, he writes "I concluded..." or "I cannot be convinced...". It's like he's trying to make himself the star of the book. I'm going to push through this, but this writer is not making easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=detergent