Sunday, February 01, 2009

Caged Collision, other stuff

Right now, I should be prepping for the big game later, but after last night, I don't want to get out of this chair. I think I want another nap. But I think I'll do what has become basically a bi-monthly deal. So let's get to the latest.

ROH Caged Collision
1) As always, a huge amount of fun at ROH. What I liked was that top to bottom, this was one of the most consistently good shows I can remember. No 5-star matches, but nothing was disappointing.

2) I think Claudio is getting a little irritated at "Heeeeeeeeeey!" Just a hunch.

3) The brand new chant for Grizzly Redwood may be one of the funniest ever. And considering the incident in the corner that brought it on, well, it's amazing I even got any sleep last night.

4) For a world title match, Nigel vs. El Generico should have been promoted much better than it actually was.

5) That 10-man cage match was excellent. Roderick Strong is a beast. His post-match meal of broccoli and beer I find just a little odd, but, to each his own. And great job by the ring crew getting the cage set up in under 18 minutes.

The Party
1) Ace Steel is a very cool dude. We talked for 10 minutes about everything from "The Wrestler" to travel to his long run in the business.

2) Super agent Larry Sweeney finally shows up to a Chicago party. About time! And this was after he finally got the tar kicked out of him in the cage.

3) I swapped e-mail addresses with Kenny King. I hope he gives me some good tips about what to do in Vegas. No Q, we were not talking Karaoke. But that day is coming, you can count on it.

4) Jimmy Jacobs singing that song to Lacey. Nothing like it. We're swaying our cell phones back and forth and totally eating it up. And when Aries walked in during the middle of it, God, I wish I could have taken a photo of his face. The classic "What in God's name did I walk into here?"

5) Nice of ring announcer Bobby Cruise to come and finally talk to me. Of course, he waited till after the NFL season was over to talk smack about Chad Pennington. Where was Mr. New England himself when Chad was completing a season where he finished second in the MVP voting? Bobby, you have got to man up.

Other stuff
1) The Mets need to sign a starter and a right handed bat. They must get either Oliver Perez or Ben Sheets. On offense, I can live with them not getting Manny. But there is no way they are winning a division, let alone a pennant with Fernando Tatis, Luis Castillo, Brian Schneider, and a concussed Ryan Church in the starting lineup. I don't want to hear about shiny new stadiums, and luxury taxes, and all this. This team needs more. And not more left-handed hitting reserve outfielders. We have that market covered. Angel Pagan (Switch-hitter granted), Jeremy Reed, Marlon Anderson, Rob Mackowiak, Cory Sullivan, and even Daniel Murphy.

2) The Aaron Heilman sausage at Hot Doug's was re-named after one day. I guess there already is a backlash in Chicago about him.

3) Walter is the funniest dummy in the world.
Walter, how long have you been married?
46 years.
What was the happiest moment of your life?
47 years ago.

4) The Rangers score less than the Bermuda national soccer team. Right after their 1-0 loss in Boston ends, I turn on the NHL network. What game are they showing. April 1993, Mario Lemieux scores five goals, Penguins beat the Rangers 8-4 in the Garden! Oh the pain!

5) It amazes me the Charlestowne Mall in St. Charles closes at 6 p.m. on Sunday nights. In a broader sense, there are so few places to go late at night out here besides bars and to me, that gets old quickly unless you do that with a group of friends.

Song pick: "I've Done Enough Dying Today" Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers

No comments: