Sunday, April 25, 2010

ROH still rules

To quote the Emerson Drive song, I should be sleeping. I have accumulated eight hours of sleep over two days and will need plenty more for this upcoming week, which is looking very busy right now. Thankfully, my jobs do not require me to speak very much...

Now it's Thursday and I finally have the energy to finish this. I guess two pulled pork sandwiches and some banana pudding can do that. First of all, Saturday. I woke up at 4 AM and dropped Mom off in Rosemont. Unfortunately, the gym does not open until 7 AM so home I went. After paying some bills and running a few early chores (including purchasing a second Greg Norman shirt in as many days), I hit the gym around 11. 45 minutes on the elliptical always feels pretty good. I headed home for a few minutes to watch the Mets-Braves. Little did I know, it would be another win in this Amazin' home streak where the Mets won 9 of 10!

I left home around 3 PM. I wagered between eating at Cheeseburger in Paradise and Fuddrucker's, but I went with CIP for something different. Game 5 of the Blackhawks-Red Wings was on TV so I watched it after I settled onto the stool at the bar. I went with several Arnold Palmers and for food, I picked sliders and a Cuban. The sliders were really good, nice and thick with mustard, pickle, and onion, just the way I like it. The guy at the bar hyped the Cuban up pretty good. I went with it just to see. I thought the bread was OK (finding real Cuban bread is tough, but this is what makes the best sandwich). Now on the menu it said mustard, mayo. So I asked for no mayo. turns out it's a mustard-mayo mix that they use. So whoever wrote the menu was not telling the whole truth. The bar guy gave me some regular yellow mustard which made it a little better, but certainly not great. The crisp sweet potato chips with S&P made the meal a bit better though. CIP is a fine place, but the Cuban is not worth $10.

After the Blackhawks tied the game with 10 seconds left and that thug Hossa won it in OT, I'd seen enough and I walked out to my car. From Downers Grove, I headed for the Frontier Fieldhouse, 25 minutes south on 294 in Chicago Ridge. I got in around 5:45 and Q and Chris were standing at the front of the line. We got in around 6:30 and I brought 5 DVD's for $60. I decided not to see Jim Cornette, I'd met him already and I didn't need to get into a God debate at that point.

No Bobby Cruise, but there was a Bobby Dempsey battle royal, highlighting the pre-show. Rasche Brown beat Sami Callahan and the DCFC literally destroyed the Bravado Bros, who will soon be working security again. As for my picks:

Tyler Black vs. Chris Hero
Pick: Tyler Black 1/1

Come As You Are Street Fight
Colt Cabana & El Generico vs. Steve Corino & Kevin Steen
Pick: Colt Cabana and El Generico 2/2

(1) Roderick Strong vs. (4) Davey Richards
Pick: Roderick Strong (Draw) 2/3

The Briscoe Brothers vs. Austin Aries & Kenny King
Pick: Briscoes 3/4

ROH World TV Champion Eddie Edwards vs. The Metal Master
Pick: Eddie Edwards 4/5

Petey Williams vs. Rhett Titus
Pick: Petey Williams 4/6

Josh Raymond & Christian Able with Truth Martini vs. Erick Stevens & Shawn Daivari with Prince Nana
Pick: Erick Stevens & Daivari 5/7

The show was just amazing, one of the best in Chicago since GTGM. Roderick-Davey was a 20-minute hard-hitting classic. Black-Hero was really good. The street fight was legendary. I knew it was going to be good when the ring announcer warned us to grab our belongings and keep them close. They all brawled into the crowd right by us and then back into the ring.

The after-party was awesome. After our traditional double-decker pizza, Q sang Smooth and I did Friends in Low Places (3rd verse included) with Q. I dedicated to my ex, who got married the next day. The Briscoes, Pearce, Roderick, and Kenny King joined in and I got at least 30-40 people singing along. And halfway through, Mark Briscoe took my mike, but I knew better than to try to get it back from him. Sweet Home Chicago was the best ever with 15 people singing up front, including Dwayne and Q. I was right in front of them screaming every word. My voice would not recover fully until Tuesday night. The only good thing about my voice being so strained and fatigued is I could do a great Bob Dylan impression.

Nana and Pearce were great to me, as always. Eddie Edwards (from Boston) put the jerk-act on, but it was just friendly ribbing back and forth. I think. Christian Able was a complete dick to me. I took a good photo of him performing some song and wanted to show it to him. I tapped him on the shoulder several times, but he was talking to different women all night and would not even turn to look at me. So I say screw him, I will be booing him hard if he comes back.

Shame Jerome missed this.

No comments: