Saturday, April 03, 2010

The heat is here

1) And it's hottest in my cubicle at the office. As of 11 AM today, I now have a new boss and four schools to work instead of three. Time to learn to set a steady, consistent pace.

2) The BBQ pulled pork sandwich at Honky Tonk BBQ has become one of my favorite sandwiches in the word. Toasted ciabatta filled with chunks of pork and some extra BBQ rub sprinkled on top. I preferred the tomato vinegar sauce to the Carolina mustard sauce and it complemented the pork perfectly. Throw in a side of beans and a cornbread muffin and I was stuffed. Drank my first Konig Pilsner, which is a lighter tasting, refreshing German beer. Had my second right afterwards. And I like the atmosphere of the place. A lot of old wood, so it feels like a classic saloon. Live music, a lot of 1920's Old West art on the walls. In the middle of a pre-dominantly Hispanic neighborhood of Pilsen, this place really stands out. I will definitely return, when I'm in the hood anyway.

3) Wrestlemania was a fun night with the guys. The card on the whole was decent, but Shawn Michaels and the Undertaker made it very good. I can say I am fortunate to have watched Shawn for 22 years and I wish him all the best with whatever he does now.

4) Four fantasy baseball teams. I picked 1, 2, 3 , and 5. So I wound up drafting a lot of the same players for multiple teams. I guess that means this season will be really good or really bad.

5) I believe I can sniff out a cigarette from two miles away.

6) The great season of Easter has arrived. Checked out the Good Friday service at Willow, will go back on Saturday afternoon, and then probably over to Wheaton Bible on Sunday. I really prefer a traditional service for Christmas and Easter.

7) Since they lost what I felt was a killer game to Boston two weeks ago, the Rangers have picked up 9 points in 10 games. they are just two points out of the playoffs after demolishing Tampa Bay 5-0 in Florida tonight. If they beat the Panthers on Saturday, this will get very exciting. Five games left to play...

8) On April 1, a friend of mine wrote this on his Facebook account: "Happy Atheist's Day." It was April Fool's Day. Maybe not the nicest thing to say, but certainly creative. Not like I expect to hear a whole lot of well wishes from atheists about Easter anyway.

9) Trying to get into jazz music. Got a couple of Miles Davis CD's from the library. I like what I hear, but really, I'm just trying to appreciate one song from the next. Because without words, a lot of jazz does sound similar to me. Sounds great though, so I guess that's good.

10) Ring of Honor debuts in Charlotte, NC Saturday night. I am really excited to watch this show, I just wish it wasn't beginning at the same time as the Rangers. My picks:

ROH World Title Match – Triple Threat Rules
Tyler Black vs. Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong

ROH World Tag Team Title Match
Jay & Mark Briscoe defend vs. The Kings of Wrestling with Shane Hagadorn

Pick 6 Series Match
(5) Kenny King vs. Davey Richards

Grudge Tag Team Match
Kevin Steen & Steve Corino vs. El Generico & Colt Cabana

Lucha Super Estrella
Blue Demon, Jr. & Misterioso vs. Super Parka & Solar

Lucha Estrella
Cassandro el Exotico vs. Magno

Butcher’s Rules
Necro Butcher vs. Erick Stevens with Prince Nana

Song pick: "I Want My Rib Back" Keith Whitley

No comments: