Thursday, June 23, 2011

That's a weekend-Part 1

Well, we'd been waiting four weeks, it seemed like four months. Catherine arrived right on time from LGA, around 9:15. We drove to Elmhurst to grab breakfast at Egg Harbor. I learned she has a thing for grits. I did get her hooked on the orange-strawberry juice. I went with a scrambler and bacon, she went with a waffle and bacon.

The heat was already rising as we began heading east down the Eisenhower freeway and I planned to unveil my first surprise: the United Center. As we approached Exit 28A, she saw the brown sign. As she realized I was turning right off 290, she started jumping in her seat and letting out this squealing noise. Yeah, I guess she was pretty excited! I think this was where she took her first 50 photos.

Then we headed up Ashland Rd to the North Side. We parked two miles away in my free zone and began the walk southeast to Wrigley Field. We passed three Yankee fans, one of whom asked her in a total Bronx accent, "What you doing with a Mets fan?"

So it was Andrew Cashner bobblehead day. I declined mine. Catherine led me right down the first base line for autographs. It turned into me holding her bags while she unsuccessfully tried to get autographs from Joe Girardi and A-Rod. Didn't mind it much though.

We sat halfway up the 500 section down the right field side. We sat next to this farmer dude from Iowa that tried to keep chatting with Catherine. This despite his wife was sitting next to him. This guy had a Cub shirt on and still had the nerve to ask if the shortstop plays between second and third base. He asked if any baseball players make six figures per year. I mean, if you're going to wear a shirt like that, you have to know something basic about baseball.

Our road curse continued as the Cubs beat the Yankees 3-1. And true to form, the Yankees rallied to win the next two days and I'm convinced it's all because we were not there. I liked when Catherine freaked out when Girardi pinch-hit Andruw Jones in the seventh inning for Freddy Garcia. We began the 90 minute drive home, stopping for some Gino's East first. We were really hungry so we went with some spinach artichoke dip to start off. I guess that filled us up a little more than we planned. I could only eat one slice of a medium supreme pizza! And I can wipe out three slices of a large in my sleep.

I could tell she was getting tired so we decided to head straight home. I put on Airplane! but she fell asleep 20 minutes before the end of the film. Then again, she had been awake for around 21 hours, so I guess I can understand that!

No comments: