Sunday, September 04, 2011

The last few days

I'd been thinking how blase a lot of my days seem to feel. Wake up, drive, work, drive, gym, home, eat, TV, internet, bed. Well since Thursday, that has been far from the case.

Had my first car accident in at least 4 years Thursday night. I was in downtown Schaumburg, trying to leave Lou Malnati's by turning left onto Roselle Road going south. Well, that was the first time I ever attempted to make that turn. And I will never attempt it again. I got the citation. I was fortunate in two respects: one, only the front bumper was damaged and it was already scratched to begin with. Two, there were no injuries.

It probably took me until Saturday to get past it. I guess I was pretty shaken all of Friday. Didn't really speak too much, my smiles were few. I still have to deal with a court date on six weeks. I just hope the other people in the car will not show up. If I'm fortunate, maybe I can get the ticket dropped. I can only hope.

But enough of depressing topics. Eight days ago, Come Thirsty finally had its first social event since Nathan left us last April. God, it had been way too long. The position of Social Coordinator evolves faster than Yankee managers before Joe Torre. But we did some grilling and played some bags at the Means house. I brought over two hot Italian links from Whole Foods. That was probably the best benefit of working that Saturday shift was that I only had to drive three minutes to Whole Foods. We also went over to J-Schu's new house and ate some wedding cake. I noticed a lot of her furniture, tables and chairs, had scripture verses on it, and it looked very classy. There must have been 12-14 of us or so there over the course of the evening. By the end of the evening, it was myself, Chris, Allison, Jenny, Matt, and Dave the wordy roommate. We played a board game called "The Game of Things" for two hours, till it was maybe 12:30 in the morning. And I polished off maybe 6 beers over the course of the evening, a little more than my share. But we had a great time. we really need to do these events much more often.

Mom and I did get to spend a pretty good Saturday together. Thanks to some long freight train interruptions, it got off to an inauspicious start. But we got through it and worked our way up to Kenosha and Frank's Diner. I just wasn't in a pizza mood, even though Mom wanted lunch. And even though Max and Benny's came up, I really felt like hitting Frank's. I wanted Mom to check it out, I just figured she would like the sharp wit of the servers and the ambience of the tiny dining car. We hit a lot of traffic once we hit Wisconsin, I think the total drive must have taken 2.5 hours. And even when we got to Kenosha, there was a car show right on 58th Street, the very road where the diner is. But we worked our way through it and found two seats at the bar. It's funny, I've been to Frank's three times now, and every time I get the same exact seat, right by the griddle. The temperature in the place is very hot and the pace goes very fast in there with so little space, but going there is a lot of fun. Mom and I each ordered garbage plates, of course, mine had jalapenos. But we set next to this couple from Deerfield, maybe in their 50's. We recommended a few restaurants to each other and then a true gift came to us. they ordered a cinnamon roll and split it into four equal pieces. Mom and I each enjoyed a quarter of gooey goodness. Now I had bacon and sausage with my plate and here's where they do it right. If you order one meat as opposed to two, they don't give you the same amount of meat and split the amounts in half. No, you get double the amount of meat. 25 bucks for that much food

It was 1 pm by now, so we headed straight to Mukwanago. The Elegant Farmer is just this little barn at an intersection in rural Wisconsin with a small market inside. But what a selection! Popcorn, pancake mix, tons of produce, cheeses, Cider baked ham, deli meats, pickles, sauces, sweet breads, fruit crisps, cookies, muffins, and of course, the pies. They are the home of the apple pie baked in a brown paper bag. I first saw this pie on the Food Network maybe two years ago. Then, Mom mentioned it last Monday after she read a book that mentioned it and we made the trip. I have to say the trip was completely worth the drive. I got a 4-inch apple and 4-inch mixed berry pie. The apple pie didn't even make it through the night. I have never had a pie crust with such a rich texture first of all. It was filled with tons of apples, both sweet and tart. But the top crust is what puts this pie literally over the top. It tastes just like a sugar cookie. For five dollars, it is easily one of the top three desserts I have ever had.

We left around 3 pm and got gas in Wisconsin, where it's about 30 cents cheaper than where we live. Unfortunately, I also had to use the men's room inside. I should have been suspicious when the door was locked with a guy waiting outside for ten minutes. Then, that guy took five or six minutes himself. Something was certainly not kosher behind that old wooden door. It turns out some douchebag schmuck took a crap right in the urinal. It was so sick, I wanted to bathe in a tub filled with Lysol. Just guessing it will be hard to get that memory out of my head. Anyway, we stopped at Trader Joe's for some more food shopping. Then, it was off to Willow Creek for Saturday night church service. Lincoln Brewster led worship and the concert really rocked. Now I didn't know the guy, but he used to play lead guitar with Steve Perry, the former lead singer of Journey. I think the songs I remember best will be "God You Reign" and "Everlasting God."

So Labor Day is tomorrow. I picked up hours at work, there was really no reason not to. I mean, think about it, outside of family events, what really happens on Labor Day? But next weekend looks absolutely loaded. Friday night: First group at Doc Babb's. Saturday: Festival of the Vine, Dragon Gate USA. Sunday: 9/11 service at Willow Creek, and the first weekend of football, capped off by Cowboys at Jets on Sunday night.

No comments: