Saturday, June 30, 2012

Payback!

OK, I'm posting this 6 days later than I should have. Gonna have to be the cliffnotes version. Pictures included, now that I finally thought to add them again.

1) Hot Doug's for lunch. Arrived at 10:20, ten minutes before open. Great to see Doug as always. Got the Beer and Onion Chicken Sausage with Spicy 4-Cheese Dijonnaise, Crispy Fried Onions and Duck Confit and an Ale and Chipotle Buffalo Sausage with Smoky Bacon Sauce and Sage Derby cheese. Topping duck with buffalo was a little weird. Even though I can't say I get the most delicious meals there, I always get something unique and exciting.

2) I parked in my usual spot on Greenview St about two miles north of Wrigley Field and walked through the 95 degree sweltering heat to Murphy's Bleachers. Had a Goose Island beer and got bored quickly, so I headed inside the park. I had a guy take my photo while I was sitting in the Bartman seat. I'm glad the ushers allow us to do that. I went up to the upper deck and sat in Dec' seat. I tanned and waited for him and his mom to show up. After a half hour, I headed down to Section 215, Row 9, Seat 13. Right in between Seats 12 and 113. That's not a type-o.

3) The Mets were 2-18 in games I attended at Wrigley Field. No more! With the wind blowing straight out to center field, only the Mets took advantage. Four homers, and several shots off the ivy. They avoided the sweep and absolutely thrashed the Cubs 17-1.

4) It took me 30 minutes to drive south four miles to the Fifty 50 bar on Division. I walked another 10 minutes in 95 degree heat and I was so ready for a drink. I really didn't want to pend money in Wrigley Field, but I gave in around the 6th inning and got an Aquafina. I was thirsty again in probably a half hour. So I guzzled down the water and iced tea. And I don't care if Sweet 'n Low has saccharine or whatever it's called. It makes tea taste much better than Equal does. Bottom line. Anyway, I ordered the four courser sandwich, which was featured on the Best Sandwich in America on the Travel Channel. Pretzel roll, house smoked pulled pork, gouda cheese bechamel, mac and cheese that gets crisped in a waffle iron, sweet potato chips, deep fried jalapenos, and BBQ sauce. Despite so many random ingredients, all the flavors just came together so well. The jalapenos added a touch of heat, the crunch from the chips, the gooiness of the mac and cheese, the pork and gouda blended together for smooth rich blend. And the grilled pretzel roll stayed firm even with all those ingredients. For ten bucks, I would recommend ordering this sandwich again.




5) And I even ordered dessert. When I saw they had snickerdoodle cookie bowls, I knew I had to try it. I ordered the half for $4.00. I looked at the bowl they gave me and my mouth dropped! It was a Carole's snickerdoodle, which is only the best cookie maker in the entire world. Throw in the scoop of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream with sprinkles. I should have paid 8 bucks and got the entire cookie! 





No comments: