Monday, July 22, 2013

Shutdown mode

1) I think my mission of the last 24 hours has been to catch up on sleep. After getting back from the Warren Dunes in Sawyer, Michigan, I slept seven hours, then late this afternoon, I slept another two hours.

2) And what a trip it was. I left home at 7 am and arrived around 10 (Eastern time zone). About 20 of us from group came. I got to hike up the dines and sprint back down and warp speed. We spent a lot of time floating in Lake Michigan, tossing the football and Frisbee around. Later, we spent some time walking down this stream that goes from the beach that leads into the woods. And against the sides of the stream, gray clay forms. So we painted each other up in clay and hiked down the stream through the rocks and trails and pits. Five of us, Faustino, Jason, Clarissa, Hilary, and myself went much farther, we probably hiked in the stream for about two hours. We all slipped and fell a few times, but thankfully, no one got too injured. I did lay out in the sun for an hour, and despite my best efforts to keep re-applying my 30 SPF, my shoulders and upper back still turned red. I'm so glad that someone invented Solarcaine.

3) We left the beach around 5 pm and headed to the Greenbush Brewery for dinner. I actually arrived about 45 minutes before everyone else in the group. I explained we had about 30 people coming and I don't think this place could seat more than about 50. But they eventually made room for us and we had a great time. I enjoyed an amazing turkey bacon melt. The turkey was brined in root beer and put on multi-grain bread with Michigan white cheddar, bacon, spicy remoulade, and some ancho chile. An absolutely tremendous sandwich. Along with two pints of locally brewed Emptiness beer, I only paid $15.50; there was no tax!

4) After a quick run across the street for some ice cream (I passed), we went back to the beach, hoping to catch the sun set. We arrived around 9:30, just a little too late. The park closed at 10, so we didn't have a whole lot of time. I remember it took us till about 10:20 to actually figure out who was going to be riding back with who. Eventually, it was decided I would drive back Luke, Jennifer G, and Hart. Talk about a dichotomy of personalities. A playa, a conservative girl, a borderline playa, and me. But the ride went quite well. We actually had a pretty good talk about topics like sex before marriage, adultery, past loves, traits we all wanted in our future partners, etc. After a quick stop for a tank of gas and a cherry Coke, the 90 minutes passed very quickly. Luke and I will never be best friends, I don't like what an obnoxious flirt he is, but I'll admit it wasn't that bad sitting next to him.

5) Rev. James Meeks of Salem Baptist Church is just an amazing pastor and speaker. We got to hear him speak at Willow Creek this morning on why our prayers matter so much to God. A very unique, vivid, and educational message. And his choir and band came as well to lead worship and they had us very active and worshipping with a lot of passion and energy. I didn't expect to run into my ex, I'd never seen her at Willow, but hey, I guess crazy things can happen. The meeting lasted five seconds, which in retrospect, feels about as long as our relationship!

No comments: