Monday, November 25, 2013

Books to read

1) "From Scratch" by Allen Salkin. This is about the history of the Food Network. I know most of the shows, but I want to learn about the stories behind the scenes. I understand the first chapter is about "Emeril Live" getting cancelled. That was the first show I ever watched on that network. So that chapter alone could make it worth the read. I still miss that show.

2) "Imus, Mike and the Mad Dog, & Doris from Rego Park: The Groundbreaking History of WFAN" by Tim Sullivan. Not a lot of dirt (which likely means very little about Sid Rosenberg), but I am interested in reading about the inside stories of the world's first 24-hours all sports radio station.

3) "If Kennedy Lived: The First and Second Terms of President John F. Kennedy: An Alternate History" by Jeff Greenfield. I'm into American history, but it isn't always the most fun topic to read about. But this is an interesting concept for a book: visualizing JFK's hypothetical years in the White House from 1963-1967. How would America and the world had been different? Interesting topic to ponder.

4) "The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling" by David Shoemaker. Contrary to popular belief, fans of pro wrestling can read. Two things I like about this book. It's written by a guy who is not employed in the wrestling business, so he has nothing to gain or lose by crediting or knocking anybody. He writes for ESPN and Grantland, so I expect this to be informative and entertaining. Also, it's a book that explores both the character in the ring as well as the unique relationship between wrestling and its fans, which I have been for 30 years. Perhaps it would behoove non-wrestling fans to read this as well.

5) "Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream" by Tony Evans. This is written by one of my favorite pastors in the world. Tony Evans works in Dallas, Texas and as much as I enjoy listening to his messages on the internet, I have never read one of his books. I think this could be the one for me. Knowing his style of preaching, this book will be engaging, but also very challenging.            

No comments: