Saturday, August 23, 2014

Veggie redemption

Dinner on Friday night was kind of lackluster. I hate to sound that way, being that people are starving. But the execution just wasn't as good as it could have been. The salmon was a little bit overcooked and the roasted veggies...well they didn't work out so well. We has summer squash, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, red onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and a few seasonings in two pans that were filled pretty high to the rim and covered with foil. Unfortunately, they were filled so high that they couldn't really roast. And like the salmon, they were cooked so long that they really steamed more than they roasted. And then they were in the oven so long then when I tasted them, they just tasted like mush. I couldn't say anything. Hell hath no fury after all...But I wondered to myself, "How can I make these taste better?" The fact is they were going to be even worse leftover unless something was done.

The next day, Mom told me she had a plan. An old recipe that had worked before. But she had lost it somewhere along the way. I figured why not. So she took the veggies and put them in a casserole dish. She added some brown rice. She added some Mario Batali tomato sauce. She topped that with some mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and baked it the oven. I proceeded to broil it for a few minutes to get that nice crust on top. I took a bite and that was one of the best veggie dishes I'd ever had!

How did this happen? Because someone knew a tried and true recipe that still worked no matter how old it was. All it took was being in the hands of someone who remembered it and knew how to use it. And that reminded me of a spiritual lesson. God is still there if I will seek him and call on him. And it applies in another way. God is like the chef. He sees potential in thigns I don't. He can make great things out of what looks like garbage. He can make what tastes lousy suddenly taste great. And his recipes still work. They aren't going out of style and they will not fail.

No comments: