Sunday, May 22, 2016

N.Y., day 1

After arriving at LaGuardia Airport around 9:30, I took the S60 bus into Northern Manhattan where I connected to the 6 train, which I took north to the Bronx. I dropped my luggage off at the house I was staying at in the Pelham Bay section of the Bronx. After changing, cleaning up, and charging my devices, I caught the 6 train for an hour long ride back into lower Manhattan. By the way, it is so refreshing to see a subway that operates every 5 to 10 minutes all day long, unlike and Chicago.

I got off at Bleecker Street and walked east on Houston (pronounced How-stin) Street to Katz's Deli. I was really in the mood for a pastrami sandwich and this is by far the best place to get it. The one thing they do differently than many delis is they hand slice it instead of machine slice it, so the slices or little bit thicker than they would normally be. And the police was absolutely packed. It was just a huge crowd of people. Well one line I spoke with some people from around the country. They were from places like Sacramento, Baltimore, and Baton Rouge. The sandwich was amazing with some Swiss cheese and mustard.

Then I took the J train to the financial district where my dad used to work. I walked south to the lower tip, Battery Park. While sipping on a German lager beer, I removed my shoes, socks, and Mets pullover shirt, so I could get a little color on my skin. I did the same thing last year and it was so relaxing.

After an hour or so, I headed north on Greenwich to the North Pool and South Pool of the September 11th memorial. I want to to take some time and pay my respects. But I still feel like there's more to do with this memorial site. It's been 15 years since the tragedy, and I still have the feeling there's going to be an even bigger museum then there already is.

From there, I brought a pretty nice 3/4 sleeve t-shirt at Mets Clubhouse. It's blue sleeves with a gray torso and the Mets logo across the front. Also, it's Dri-Fit, so it's lightweight, but great in rain. I also spent about an hour just hanging in Bryant Park. I watched a lot of people play games like chess and Chinese checkers. There was even a spot for a bocce court. Every time I see old man play bocce, I think of my great grandfather. It's just a really cool small spot to hang out. Then I took the 7 train over to Citi Field. Then I gotta to a good start when I got up the subway and they were giving out free cups of Haagen Dazs ice cream. Thank God they had vanilla in addition to peanut butter chocolate.

I met up with my FB friend Lori and I got into the game for free just for trading her my free Mets Rushmore t-shirt. It was about as ho-hum of a one run game as I have ever seen. At least the Mets won. Then I had to take the 7 train west back to Grand Central and connect to the 6 train and head all the way back north to the Bronx. I got back to the house in Pelham at 11. I had been awake for about 20 hours. I can't remember the last time sleeping on a couch felt so welcoming.

No comments: